The What's cooking thread

Everything is a hack nowadays. Even common wense

1 Like

Prepping my dough for my Detroit style pizza tomorrow.

Iā€™m never going to do that! prawn crackers for me are like crisps, eaten separately. I just love the way they crackle and pop on my tongue. That is just a waste of a cracker, lol.

I dip them in my Crab and Sweetcorn Soup even though it ends up like eating a piece of wet newspaper the way they disintegrate :0)

We normally post nice things we eat in here. So let me buck the trend. Long day at work. Board meeting afterward. No time for anything. Got home late. Starving.

I made scrambled eggs. Just took a couple of minutes. I made sure to add a knob of proper butter to the pan. Weā€™re not cave men are we?

3 Likes

In terms of quick and easy meals, eggs, butter and a pan are all you need. Iā€™m an omelette man myself, but your scrambled eggs are also a good choice.

If you have more items in the fridge, you can pimp your scrambled eggs/omelette to your taste (I like grated cheese, torn ham and Italian herbs in my omelette) but the basic dish literally takes two minutes to cook from scratch.

4 Likes

I always have a bag of Costco bacon crumbles in my fridge. In 5min I can have two fried eggs on a slice of toast with bacon. 2-3 days a week I skip a meal and just eat that with some tomatoes and supper

1 Like

I always add water instead of milk to the beaten eggs before the mix goes into the panā€¦

I do scrambled eggs a bit differently at times.

Saute Onions , add some chopped green chilly , saute some moreā€¦ add the beaten eggs - cook for some time , add a bit of milk and reduce down. Adjust for salt.

3 Likes

Might try these at sometimeā€¦

Mushrooms! :heart_eyes:

Detroit style pizza!

Finished my prep yesterday, now for the actionā€¦

Doh!

Toppings! (cheese hidden in the bottom, cooked mushrooms and pepperoni.

cooked and in the pan.

Cut up and waiting for the sauce.

Sauce.

Now all gone.

3 Likes

Came home early this afternoon. Wife and daughter had already left for their Taylor Swift concert. Itā€™s just me and the lad. We got beef short ribs and smoked them on the smoker. I got a Pit Boss grill/smoker for Fatherā€™s Day. Yay!

Anyway, they were so delicious, tender, and juicy. I put a South Carolina bbq dry rub on them and we smoked them low and slow, although it didnā€™t take too long. I donā€™t fully know what Iā€™m doing but I bought a competition blend of wood pellets to go in the hopper, and then thereā€™s a lever to adjust the quantity of smoke you want the food to have.

Iā€™m going to have fun learning to smoke all sorts of food in this thing.

2 Likes

Smoking :face_with_spiral_eyes: :rofl:

The beef has arrived :partying_face:, we are going to have beef tonight :yum:

1 Like

And us (unusually) ā€¦ Iā€™m cooking beef and brocolli in blackbean sauce with shiitake mushrooms.

1 Like

I highly recommend this recipe book for a range of smoking techniques and recipes - I particularly like the salmon recipes.

Weber smoke book

1 Like

Also, smoked chicken. This recipe (Michael Symon, Playing with Fire) is phenomenal, the only real complexity is the overnight brine.

SmokedChicken

1 Like

Kosher salt ? Is that even a thing, I really didnā€™t know that salt, of all peculiar things, had to be treated in a particularly religious way, for Jews to use it. Never heard of that before and I doubt most Jews outside Israel follows that. Because I am fairly sure I would have heard about it if it was an ā€œissueā€.

Extremely peculiar.

I think the degree to which it is required for religious reasons can be judged by the fact it goes into a pork rub. It is just the most common name in North America for non-iodized sea salt with a larger flake than conventional table salt.

In Norway, you would likely use something like Maldon Sea Salt Flakes

1 Like