The What's cooking thread

Ah, I get it. makes sense then. Was just a bit odd to read. Never heard the term Kosher salt before and I read a lot, including israeli newspapers.

The ‘kosher’ part is the purity and the non-iodized. An oddity of the US in particular.

1 Like

So just a Jewish way to write pure then I suppose. I have just never seen or read about this term ever and was quite surprised to see it on a cooking recipe. :sweat_smile:

Hello Magnus, you were missed.

1 Like

I think it is even more basic than that. I have been told the early production was aimed at the process of making kosher meats, but the salt that the Jewish community wanted was similar to that used in many European methods of preparation. So the North American name for it simply became ‘kosher salt’, and you will see it faithfully used for countless recipes for things about as far away from kosher as one can imagine. Just one of those oddities like ‘French fries’.

2 Likes

Hello to you too ! :smiley: :heart:

I used to marinate meats before. Now I just brine them overnight , even for a curry or a biryani.

Only ever done it for chicken, but it makes an amazing difference.

Works for red meat too.

Weird the way Americans are obsessed with smoking things / BBQ and the rest of the world are just happy to cook the fucking thing.

Brine it for a month, use hickory wickery petals in a butane drum on low until Everton win the league… yawn.

Cook it, fucking eat it, stop pissing about.

1 Like

You know, FX Buckley do a damn fine steak, and they don’t exactly have the simplest process either.

Yes, but to be fair, they’re twats.

The end.
Close the thread

1 Like

Having a pan you know will take the punishment is key :slight_smile:

Side of salmon, brined, dill, lemon, smoked it at 225 degrees until skin crispy and fish cooked to medium. Absolutely delicious. Tender, melt in mouth, new depths of flavor cooking things in the smoker.

Also, no bother at all, no hassle. Set the temp and leave it. An app communicates with my watch or phone when it is done to the required temperature.

I might have to quit my job. There’s much more to discover with this stuff :joy:

2 Likes

that concept works for some meats, but for the flat section of a packing brisket (12-18lb) you can’t just “cook it and eat it”. the whole process behind the low-and-slow cook it trying to break down what would normally be a very tough cut of meat and a low heat cook to turn it into something that will almost shred in your fingers.

if you refer to an old polynesian style of cooking where they pit-cook an entire pig in wet banana leaves on top of rocks, buried in the ground…well that’s not that much different.

:flushed: Looks like it is reaching for the salt

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/lifestylegeneral/taiwan-restaurant-serves-terrifying-godzilla-ramen-dish-featuring-crocodile-foot/ar-AA1dqku2?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=013cc555d43748e1a7e747836c655f06&ei=38

You just know that the foot gets recycled, surely?

:face_vomiting:

Shit.

Really think this Italian Chef guy knows his onions (anyone see what I did there)… His videos are excellent - Here he is doing to Gordon Ramsey what Ramsey is so used to doing to his staff

1 Like