The What's cooking thread

Vincenzo’s Plate. Been watching his videos about a year, he’s actually in Australia not Italy.

His carbonara and base marinara sauces are good. he should stick to cooking, because his critiques on other chef’s are fucking annoying.

@Sithbare what’s price of green chillies in India?

Here, it shot from Tk. 100 (about $1) to Tk. 1200 overnight :laughing:. Currently hovering around Tk. 500.

That looked like something a student away from home for the first time would knock up. Crap.

I had an Italian guy once give me an authentic recipe for carbonarra which I never got round to trying. It just seemed a lot of bother for what I expected would be a wholely unremarkable dish.

Can anyone disavow me of this ? Is it worth going to the trouble of doing it right ?

Edit: I meant to post this in reply to Sands post.

all good

the carbonara recipe he gives is legitimately simple, and good, i’ve made it a few times. Also, his pomodoro sauce is very good. basic cooking is so good.

1 Like

Cooking the proper Carbonara is not really messy or time consuming IMO… The whole dish start to finish takes as long as it does to cook the pasta in the pan 12-14mins.
Ramsay was just showboating in that clip, but it backfired and he made a total arse of himself… making dirty dishes left right and centre in his wake. As the saying goes, it takes one to know one… and hearing an authentic Italian trained chef laughing at him like that… sort of put Ramsey in his box, no matter what excuses he may try to offer.
Carbonara as a meal, is one of my favourites. Might not be as exciting as some others, but it is a ‘play safe’ and the first meal I always order in an Italian restaurant - the type of cheese used is important though

1 Like

I was working with a company who did a lot of restaurant deliveries in Whistler, ended up getting a bag of pecorino romano and another bag of shaved grana podano… a few lbs each. made lots of pasta that month.

2 Likes

It’s about 90 -100 rs a kilo

Can never figure out the fixation for some guys of having just heat in food. I know you’re probably being sarcastic.

Nope.

I’ve been eating hot food since I was a child. Any idiot can throw a million chillies into a dish to make it hot; the skill is to balance the heat with the flavour of the other ingredients.

3 Likes

been making my own version of a pepper sauce for 8 years now. grow my own chilies. grew a ghost plant once, got about 60 peppers off it. they’re completely useless for cooking. the flavor is terrible, and the heat unbearable. in my opinion, anything more than a scotch bonnet (250k scoville) is useless

more likely the above. cooking the peppers softens the heat quite a bit, but that rancidity of a ghost pepper is just unpleasant.

I use 4-6 scotch bonnets in 15lb of jerk chicken. makes the beer taste better. Friend of mine made a smoked mango habanero sauce for me, that was really tasty mixed with full-fat greek yoghurt as a dipping sauce for charcuterie plate… I make cowboy candy out of green jalapenos, and a hot pepper relish using a mix of green/red jalapeno. bird chilies in my stir fry but I de-seed them as my kid is only 8.

I’m in Glasgow. Nuff said…

2 Likes

250k scoville , that’s way too hot for regular usage. Depends on how you use them obviously and the quantity as well.

Most Indian Chillies (for regular cooking) go for a Scoville count around 70k - 80k. And I’m not talking about bhut jolokia (Nagaland Ghost Chillies) of which the derivatives like Carolina Reaper etc come from.

1 Like

Deep fried something n ice cream…give us a clue!!

I’d like to know your definition of hot food compared to the standard Indian definition of hot food. I come from a region where the cuisine is known for being spicy (spicier compared to most other Indian Cuisines at any rate)

1 Like

wow, That’s definitely 100x more than my chilly heat tolerance. You shouldn’t have any trouble with quite a lot of Indian food then.

I’ve tried bhut jolokia pickles before. But those are something which has been tailored down. Still have a bottle of that lying around when I need a spicy kick. It’s like a 1/4 tea spoon for a huge quantity of rice and I still feel the heat. Both in my mouth and later down my butt crack.

noooooooope. nothing good comes of that.

throw up team america GIF

1 Like

I like Bengali food but they aren’t representative of entire Indian cuisines as such. Where do you stay btw , I can see if there’s any south Indian food there. With the sheer number of Telugu IT workers in all parts of the world , wouldn’t be that difficult to look for atleast (on menu) other Indian places online…

of course. I’d highly recommend this for a snack though