The What's cooking thread

I saw that survey and it was high across Northern Europe. From memory, Germany was up around 48%. I suppose it is the land of the sausage.

The lowest were around the Mediterranean: France, Italy, Greece and so on. I’m sure that there is some correlation between the proposed health benefits of that diet and what goes (or at least doesn’t go) into it.

2 Likes

There’s surely a distinction between a well made sausage / burger and a festival of preservatives and E numbers in a frozen chicken curry.

For example a 100% beef home made with salad, cheese and a fresh barm ticks all the food groups and is actually very healthy. A microwave russler special, not so much. In fact…….

2 Likes

However the microwave job will be much cheaper and have a significantly longer shelf life. When you are looking at lower income families the cost and convenience is going to be critical.

Preservatives in frozen food isn’t typically the problem. Frozen veg is a very effective way of getting quality food to people - particularly as home freezers are now very common if not universal. With frozen ready-meals its more likely to be things like emulsifying agents that are the problem.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure home prepared food is going to be cheaper than getting a microwaved meal. Convenience is another factor though.

1 Like

At the cheapest, ready-meals can be shockingly cheap. However, there is the total cost of ownership factor. Most of these things don’t go off. The longevity can make a huge difference to the overall cost.

Had this for the second time last night. First time was good , second time was very good. (Ignore the cooking times , use more liquid and just let it bubble away.) Simple , cheap and delicious.

2 Likes

You can always chuck in some harissa or chillies for a bit of extra kick.

2 Likes

If it was just for me I probably would. :wink:

1 Like

It’s that time of year. Processing garden tomatoes into lasagna. This pan is 15lb1oz gross so about 6.5kg of food.

I hope it’s nice then. :open_mouth:

Schitts Creek Food GIF by CBC

1 Like

Was just throwing out the usual buzz words. I always use frozen peas, one of the VERY few vegs that stand the process well. Unlike carrots, potatoes, green beans sweetcorn etc etc.

Jnr getting a real taste for spicy food which is great. Mrs still plucking up the courage to try flavoured water.

I love making fresh burgers with a panade. Make this recipe often, will sub some chopped bacon or moose/deer meat into it as well. usually just add 1/2lb of either to this recipe which ends up making about 1 dozen burgers at 5oz each.

2 Likes

Try her with some lime pickle.

1 Like

Tagine is a lightly spiced sweet dish for women folk.
The mens alternative if couscous with lashings of harissa!

Peas can also be very well dried.

Yes, just a longer process. Throw a handful of frozen peas into anything liquid based and they’re done in 5 mins.

I like how dried peas turn mushy!
Fresh garden peas have to be that or frozen!

Or fresh :wink: