The What's cooking thread

Bleh too oily and not crispy enough. Both the chips and the fish

2 Likes

Heathen.

4 Likes

The chips look like an oily mess.

I can see the Oil floating all over the fish and the piece looks dry.

The only way I could find myself eating that was if I had a couple of drinks.

2 Likes

The drinks are to help wash down the oil!

3 Likes

Sounds like a pissed up City fan.

4 Likes

Hmm not convinced by the quality of those chips bud. Look a bit on the soggy side to me.

But cant fault the premise. Good fish snd chips is hard to beat. Shame it’s off the menu for me these days.

2 Likes

Truth.

The best chippy on Merseyside is meant to be the Green Hut on the Wirral:

It’s just down the road from my brother’s flat and I have to say that the chips are exceptional. Unfortunately, it does only really cater for people going for beach trips so it often closes if it is raining.

1 Like

I have to go with the consensus on COG’s chips … they look proper fuckin’ mingin. If you think they’re ruined with oil though , you should see how they like them in the Basque country , it’s even worse than that ! :face_vomiting:

I made my first Korma sticking resolutely to an authentic Indian recipe the other night (inspired in no small measure it must be said by Sith’s and AlrightNow’s postings) , and it was … a revelation ! Nothing at all like a British / Indian korma. Not a hint of heat , no curry powder to be seen , no cashews and no coconut milk. Can something be both piquant and subtle at the same time ? Because that’s how I’d describe it. A simple garlic and ginger marinade for the chicken , then it goes into the same oil used to fry the onions after adding a whole garam masala and ground coriander. Then after the cooking add safron infused milk and ground almonds. Even my twelve year old loved it and she usually hates curries !

4 Likes

You’ve got the basics right on reusing the oil used for frying onions. Hope you braised the meat as well too before simmering (a marinate isn’t always required)

The recipe of Korma varies from place to place.

Basically, a paste of fried onions) + thickening agent paste(can be one or two of melon seeds / fried almonds/ fried cashews / dry roasted coconut plus whisked curd).

The way I’d go is slightly different. Curd is a must for a korma though because of the acidity of the curd/yoghurt helping to break down the meat during cooking

1. Fry onions till light golden brown. Remove and keep aside and then later make into paste

2. In the same remaining oil , fry almonds and cashews (can use any two of the ones listed abovd) and keep aside.

3. Fry the green chillies for a bit and then keep aside adding to the thickener paste

4. Use the oil used for frying onions , add 2-3 tbsp of ginger garlic paste , fry till the rawness of ginger garlic paste goes away.

5. Add 6-7 cloves , 2-3 green cardamom, , 1 inch cinnamon, 1 black cinnamon, 1 star anise before adding the ginger garlic paste

6. Add the meat and fry till the meat is throughly browned.

7. Add whisked curd and then set to simmer.

8. Add salt , kashmiri chilly powder and simmer. Taste and adjust masala if needed by adding some store brought masala powder. Add the thickener paste now.

9. Simmer for 15 minutes after adding a 100ml of water or so ,just to stop the gravy from sticking to the pan.

10. Add the fried onions paste and the cook for another 10 minutes with the lid on.

2 Likes

You all make me sick. But I can meet if you want for fish and chips. We can celebrate Joe returning next year to score!

2 Likes

Will you be bringing Korma???

1 Like

Easy NO.

2 Likes

I would have but as far as you know I have lost electricity and cannot cook.

1 Like

Oi, you cook with gas, not electricity :melting_face:

2 Likes

@Iftikhar is this how you return my adoration toward you?

1 Like

alright fellas, just because Kloppo is leaving I’m going to share my jerk chicken recipe.

3-5lb chicken thighs
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce

3 cloves garlic, fine chop
2 white onions, fine chop
3 scotch bonnets, de-seeded and fine chop

1 tbps thyme
1 tbsp cane/golden sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp allspice
1 tsp black pepper

1/2 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger.

throw that into a blender and puree. you can save any leftover in a ziploc and freeze it, it keeps well.

Marinade chicken overnight, cook on bbq or open fire on skewers. this marinade needs to caramelize the onion and sugar which will also remove the bitterness of the vinegar. it will not do well in a pan or an oven.

5 Likes

Those fish n chips have probably had salt and vinegar sprinkled on them before they were wrapped… Look good to me, I would wolf them down :0)

2 Likes

It’s called the truth.

And truth hurts

1 Like

Fixed

1 Like