Thiago ALCANTARA: 2020/21

Me. All season long.

1 Like

I love this bloke. Took a paycut to join us (Bayernā€™s new contract offer was Ā£230k per week, higher than the reported Ā£200k per week heā€™s agreed with us) and when other clubs enquired about his availability his agent told them it would cost them over 50% more (Ā£327,000/week) than what heā€™d get from Liverpool to persuade him to play for anyone else :joy: :+1:t2:

The above is from the article that The Athletic did on him.

4 Likes

I remember Milner doing something similar when he joined Liverpool.

That is brilliant. Liverpool have now reached a level where super stars actually think of Liverpool as a destination on top of the very football hierarchy. I donā€™t think Liverpool has been anywhere near that for decades if I am honest. Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern MĆ¼nchen, Barcelona, these have all been clubs most players see as the peak, possibly including Manchester City due to Guardiola and unlimited money.
But now Liverpool is maybe on top, at least seen as equal to the top. Super stars are now willing to take pay cuts to come here.

Exciting times !

3 Likes

One of the most significant things in Thiagoā€™s performance for me (albeit with the advantage of a man), was the sight of him instructing VVD where to position himself during a build up from the backā€¦

1 Like

Boy, I am going to enjoy this one.

Yesterday was fine, not great. Silly pen, almost had another one later when he went risky in a challenge inside our box. Few misplaced passes for his usual standard, but itā€™s all understandable.

New team, new league, probably only had one training session, special situation being 11v10, getting a whole half. But especially him being so excited and eager to be involved. Those passes stats need also to be put in that context.

But apart from that, you see heā€™s serious quality. Technically brilliant, sharp, no weird steps or touches on the ball, fluid, head always up, ball manipulation, fast in changes of decision, little feints. But you can also feel a sense of responsibility, heā€™s been brought up in Germany and fully understands (and loves, I felt) both sides of the game.

We had too few players like these, players/midfielders who bring these elements. We had some. But as a little package like him, arguably never in modern times.

Again, the kid in me is going to literally enjoy every second heā€™s out on the pitch.

:massage_man:t4:

11 Likes

I thought we had very generous bonuses in place. That might have helped as well and is an indication of Thiagoā€™s confidence of reaching those bonuses.

Just wait until MbappƩ signs up for a packet of crisps per week.

9 Likes

Compare that to the situation Klopp reacted negatively to in his early years here - players who are available have a package in mind, then as soon as we come in take that as a reason to increase their demands. The progress at this club and how that has affected how players view the opportunity to play here is astonishing.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not healthy for a sportsman :blush:

2 Likes

I am sure that Mona would work something out to balance that diet. :wink:

4 Likes

Did we just pick up the worlds premier holding midfield player on a Ā£5m down-payment, huh?

Looked a class apart, touch, poise and positioning, distribution and leadership all top drawer.

Harvest time.

6 Likes

Brings out the teal in the kit beautifully too.

2 Likes

The type of player you just canā€™t take your eyes off. Even the simple stuff can leave you awestruck with the way itā€™s executed.

In fifty years of supporting this club I canā€™t remember ever being this excited about a signing.

Love at first sight. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Is it that same thread Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara just renamed and moved to another section???

It is not.

The swagger he has on the ball is so amazing, had always observed that. He doesnā€™t need to look at the player always when making the pass.

A no look Thiago pass for a no look Bobby finish, I can dream! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

only read the first few paragraphs as it needs a paid subscription to read it fully. Can someone post the full article?

Nooo. Sorryā€¦we donā€™t post full articles of things behind a pay wall. Worth subscribing to though. Think The Athletic has an offer of Ā£1/month going on at the moment.