THIAGO Alcantara: 2023/24

Thiago was middling as a transfer even if it was a gamble. The club knew that he wouldn’t be playing all the games but thought he was worth a gamble.

The disappointments were Ox & Keita.

1 Like

Liverpool never bought too many known name players before.

I only remember Thiago and Morientes. I guess Mac can be looked at someone who’s a known entity on account of his performances for Brighton and Argentina.

This signing was so unlike FSG…ageing injured player…well hasnt that come back to bite us.
£40m in wages is fucking mental. Shouldve been on pay as you play.

More stats…

Thiago Alcántara Stats, Goals, Records, Assists, Cups and more | FBref.com

Just 6 mins played this season.

1 Like

Really? I always prefer signings like Salah or even Szoboszlai, players who go on to take that next step with us and become that player that fans of other clubs wank over.

Of course, don’t know why it even needs extra explanation, it’s just logic in my mind.

Overall, I like quality transfers of all types. From the shrewd Gary Mac or Milner on a free, to a “normal” fee opportunity like Suarez, to a risky but worthwile in the end like Virgil. I may have my favourites among all of those groups.

I’ve said it many times, it’s not like Real’s every incoming transfer is a ready made, proven star in the best years. Most transfers at big clubs are exactly that: players who are making the final step to win and win in a row.

But it’s just natural to want us to get certain deals over the line that we haven’t seen much in modern times. Either top players or top talents who become top players very quickly.

Joe Cole was another “name” that established himself elsewhere. Starting to see a pattern here.

And another one past his peak.

One of the best I’ve seen in terms of ball control and passing. A technically gifted player. What a pity about the injuries… :smiling_face_with_tear:

6 Likes

I feel robbed. The glimpses were so tantalising. Great guy too.
All the best amigo.

2 Likes

Best player since Suarez. Most injured since Sturridge.

1 Like

Good player. But not for us.

Not a club legend.

All the best.

2 Likes

2020-21: 30 games, 2203 mins
2021-22: 39 games, 2386 mins
2022-23: 28 games, 1963 mins
2023-24: ONE game, FIVE mins

Farewell, Thiago :heart:

1 Like

Wonder what that works out to as $/min over his Liverpool career? He was paid what 250k/week? Rough maths in my head ~ 52m pounds in wages and ~6550mins. Or ~9,500 per minute which is about 850k per game.

Wish him the best, but the fact he’s missed more games for us than he’s played since arriving shows why I was dubious about bringing him in, particularly to ostensibly replace ultra-fit Gini.

Hopefully the era of signing players with already-questionable injury records is over.

3 Likes

I think the first three seasons were reasonable. From a player of his caliber, 24-game equivalent minutes can be game-changer.

He actually got on the pitch this year??? I honestly dont remember it

The problem is, many of those appearances were him coming back from injury trying to regain fitness, before getting injured again, and so on.

I don’t think we saw the best of him for more than 20 matches total…

3 Likes

I’m more surprised that he has been here for 4 whole seasons.

He was a class act,of that there is no doubt,we got him toward the end of his career and injuries certainly took their toll.
He was certainly a talented player!

1 Like

Four year contract was never going to look good at the back end, but that is how we got him. Wasn’t too far away from paying off with another European Cup, so I would not call it a mistake. Unfortunately, if he had been a factor at any point in this season, this season’s results would likely have been substantially better.

4 Likes