Thiago Alcantara (CM) Bayern Munich

Er no. It’s about risk v need.

The fact that the squad is as strong as it is means there is less need to make a move as risky as this.

Had this happened two years into Klopp’s rebuild there might have been a different response.

It’s everyone else who needs to do the chasing.

8 Likes

Sheep behaviour is what you seek?

If your mates jump deep into debt, will you follow? Maybe.

Now if your enemies do it, even more unlikely.

2 Likes

Again the point is missed here.

Yes there is risk. But how is it that the risk seems to be more in our direction than any other.

Yes it is also about need. But in spite of not needing as much as others, we did identify some need. Understanding that others are the ones who need to chase. Fact is we did identify a need…

Someone is not telling the whole truth here…

1 Like

I’m not concerned with what others are doing .

My concern is what we are not doing- following up on our identified needs…

1 Like

The squad was also already primed to make changes from within.

4 Likes

What are our identified needs? Not seen Klopp come out and tell us? All I can see is fans on social media identifying our needs which somehow are taken as read?

Maybe those needs have been met as far as Klopp and co is concerned? Surely we have to have faith in those that have brought us success to date.

Also, football is not transparent. You’re expecting answers to questions that no one outside the club will ever get in full.

2 Likes

Simply not true. The rest of your post seeks to suggest we can’t do what other clubs are doing. We can. We’re choosing not to for very understandable reasons.

1. We don’t have any significant weaknesses in the squad that require urgent attention in order to enable us to compete with the best. We already are the best.

2. In the circumstances, borrowing money to fund significant player purchases, particularly given the already optimum state of the squad, would be reckless in the extreme with almost negligible possible upside.

3. Next year provides a better environment for large spending both in terms of FFP, need for investment into the squad, and the increased clarity as to the financial environment.

7 Likes

I disagree. We identified wants and needs. Kids learn the difference from an early age.

We’ve had to reevaluate our wants (Werner?) whilst still pursuing our needs (Tsimikas).

7 Likes

Was there really an identified ‘need’ for a type of player like Thiago? Don’t get me wrong, I’d be more happy to have him, but unless someone like Gini leaves it always seemed more of a ‘luxury’ /‘hey he’s available’ type of signing.

3 Likes

Klopp himself said going into the season without 4 CDs is not optimum.

We can whitewash it all we want but these were identified by the club, whether you call it “want” or “need” or whatever linguistic gymnastics one chooses to do…

1 Like

Linguistic gymnastics? Otherwise known as reading comprehension? Do you get that needs and wants are not the same thing?

4 Likes

Maybe the combination of Sepp, Ki and Billy the kid, plus cover through Fab means the want/need is done with…klopp might have seen enough from within to decide we dont need to go outside the club.

2 Likes

When we were actively involved with Werner there was an expectation of a January 2021 AFCON. As circumstances change so do your needs.

7 Likes

I struggle to believe that FSG would not provide the cash for Klopp if he had identified to them a genuine need for investment in the squad.

He’ll be fully on board with whatever approach it being taken.

7 Likes

They never do and never have. This isn’t FM2020. We didn’t win the league last season, we obliterated it. We have a world class starting 11, great second string and hugely promising youth coming through. If Gini leaves, we sign Thiago. Otherwise, if it’s not broke…

1 Like

I think there might have been something about our response to this (IMO a lunatic over-reaction) that put them off a bit.

1 Like

Yes. He’ll be fully on board with whatever approach is taken.

But that does not materially change the fact that he identified and sought to sign werner; a replacement for Lovren, etc

And I too is on board with whatever approach they choose, given their track record.

But that doesn’t mean that one should drink the kool aid…
Something simply does not add up…

So we shouldn’t drink the kool aid, but we should be on board with whatever approach they choose?
:wink:

3 Likes

He’s right, you know.

Something simply does not add up… :wink:

2 Likes

It means we can and should ask questions. Not simply swallow the official narrative or twist ourselves in a pretzel to find justifications…