Trent ALEXANDER-ARNOLD: 2022/23

Also Gomez got done by Welbeck because Ibou left him and then Gomez had to make up the distance to cover and got done by a great touch as his 1st objective is to block the shot/cross. His momentum to get there meant that he could change direction quick enough for Welbecks touch

I want to see him play with more freedom and more cover. At the moment weā€™re leaving him wildly exposed whilst also wanting him to playmake. Heā€™s not getting into enough good positions because we canā€™t win the ball back and teams know they can expose our right hand side, thus pushing Trent back.

His defending has been shite, heā€™s second guessing everything. Give the lad a mental break by lessening his workload, stop expecting him to ā€˜reinventā€™ the position every season.

1 Like

Thats why I think 3 at the back would help with both Robbo and Trent as options as wide players in a 5 man midfield, surely it canā€™t be any worse than what we are doing and should give less space to the opponents playing through and round us

if weā€™re to look at a change in structure to something like a 4-4-2 I think Trent would make a great RM.

Hate to use this comparison but would be a similar role to what Beckham played

Gerrard 05/06 then, reached levels Beckham could only dream of.

1 Like

Yeah but Gerrard has a lot more strings to his bow that both Trent & Beckham, I always thought Beckham was limited, as is Trent, as neither can dribble or go past their opponent

1 Like

Stevie wasnā€™t much of a dribbler but he could power through players (quite literally at times). Trent is vastly different but heā€™s a unique player, the kind we drool about when one emerges at Bayern or Barcelona. He still has plenty to give but we wonā€™t see him play well until we see the entire team functioning as a unit again.

3 Likes

Gerrard had a deceptive change of pace that left players for dead

1 Like

True that. then he started having hip problems.

Gerrard seemed to have this knack of changing the temp of a pedestrian passing phase with a quick burst and 1 - 2 which would just open up a team. Which is something we are lacking atm

Disagree, weā€™re just lacking any form of cohesive movement.

Many of our players are capable of that, itā€™s just that no one seems to be on the same page as anyone else, so any attempt at doing so usually ends up in us coughing up the ball (and the person making the pass getting crucified).

Apart from Robbo and maybe Nunez who else?

Off the top of my head? Matip, Henderson, KeĆÆta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones?

I donā€™t think itā€™s that unique an ability as you think it is. What he did have however was the ability to consistently not misplace his passes in such situations, which doesnā€™t seem the case for any of our players at the moment.

Wow they have pace for the quick transition, if they have they havenā€™t done it for a while

Thatā€™s the point, no one on this team has done so for a while, but when they did do so, being in sync with each other, I seem to remember us picking teams apart with precisely that passing and moving.

Weā€™re starting to get him in dangerous positions again, whether itā€™s on the overlap or giving him space in midfield. Some of his long passing/crossing in these last two games have been outstanding.

Thought he was the best outfield player on the pitch against Newcastle, those passes just get taken for granted now. Good signs from Trent.

5 Likes

Heā€™s starting to look his old self these last two.

3 Likes

Yep, we appear to finally have fucked off the let Trent play roaming attacking central midfielder tacticsā€¦ He is devastating on the overlap or just checked in behind their forward and ahead of their fullbackā€¦

Seems to have helped him defensively as well as he seems to have far more energy to be aggressive at the back.

2 Likes

Makes sense. Lets him conserve a bit of energy. And heā€™s always had the pace for an overlap