UEFA Europa League

Ajax lost again,

How said, never mind … :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Europa Conference League, so not quite the right thread - but wtf happened in Birmingham yesterday? Are Legia Warsaw a club with a known ultra violence problem? It sounds like problems were kicking off hours before the match.

In a word, yes.

Lazio, Marseille, POAK, Red Star, Zenit back in the day and a fair few polish sides are all filled with far right thuggery.

Lot more violence against English/British sides after Brexit too, remember Alkmaar fans attacking West Ham fans?

It’s been a while since we were last in this competition, so I’m a bit out of touch with the rules.
Can we draw a PL team text round, or are we kept apart at this stage?

As group winners, we skip the next round.

The eight CL drop-outs will play the eight group runners-up first, then we enter again.

5 Likes

Anna Kendrick Movie GIF by Pitch Perfect

Can teams from the same country face each other in Europa League round of 16?

No side can face another team from the same national association.

From the UEFA site, setting out how the Round of 16 works (that will be drawn following the play-off between 3rd placed CL teams and 2nd placed Europa League teams). I assume from QFs those rules dont apply, as per CL.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/0287-197335d65079-f2f67b965e43-1000–uefa-europa-league-round-of-16-draw-what-is-it-where-to-watc/

2 Likes

Dont want Liverpool to face Leverkusen.

4 Likes

Until the final.

5 Likes

That would be a great match. Where will the final be played? Fingers crossed, but I think that we have a good chance to make it there, wherever it is.

2 Likes

Dublin, I think

4 Likes

In the round of 16, we cannot face each other, since we were both group winners and are among the seeded teams.

2 Likes

With that being the case if Newcastle and Man Utd drop into this and WHU and Brighton are still toss ups it’s going leave a small number of clubs we could face.

Will be clearer come the last group stage games. Anyhow I can enjoy them.

and suddenly my thoughts turn to scheduling the Q2 board meeting…

Lolz @ Marseille being called “far-right” as if they’re not subjected to Nazi salutes and homophobic chants every game specifically because of their overwhelmingly left-wing tendencies.

haven’t you ever watched Football Factories? Some polish footy fans have some issues dude.

Ages ago, but it is always a club to club thing - I don’t recall if Legia was one of the problem clubs.

My favourite moment from that series is the Ajax fan laughing at the Feyenoord ultras for their neo-nazi connections, pointing out the real Nazis destroyed Rotterdam.

3 Likes

Legia is mentioned in that episode, they’re up there with the problem childs.

Pardon my ignorance of the setup of these multi-cup competitions, but I have always wondered:

Is it mandatory participation in the Europa League if a team qualifies (such as us from last year and Spurs so far this season)? Could a club simply say “no thanks”, if they so chose?

I am also applying this to all extra-league cups (Carabao, FA Cup, etc). Would be curious to know once and for all. Thanks for your understanding.

TL;DR: there’s already a built-in mechanism for determining access for clubs that share ownership interests, the clubs themselves don’t have to self-police by declining to enter.

Clubs need to be issued a license by UEFA in order to participate in their competitions, so I believe a club could decline to apply for a license.

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-Champions-League-2023/24/Article-4-Admission-criteria-and-procedure-Online

Article 4 Admission criteria and procedure

To be eligible to participate in the competition, clubs must:

1. have qualified for the competition on sporting merit;
  2. fill in the official entry documents (i.e. all documents containing the information deemed necessary by the UEFA administration for ascertaining compliance with the admission criteria), which must reach the UEFA administration by 12 June 2023
    […]

Furthermore:

If a club refuses to enter the competition, having qualified for it on sporting merit and obtained a licence from the competent national body, no other club from the same association may be entered in its place and the access list (see Annex A) is rebalanced accordingly. Furthermore, in such a case, the coefficient of the association concerned is calculated in accordance with the specific rule laid down in Annex D.

However:

If two or more clubs fail to meet the criteria aimed at ensuring the integrity of the competition, only one of them may be admitted to a UEFA club competition, in accordance with the following criteria (applicable in descending order):

1. the club which qualifies on sporting merit for the most prestigious UEFA club competition (i.e., in descending order: UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League or UEFA Europa Conference League);
  2. the club which was ranked highest in the domestic championship giving access to the relevant UEFA club competition;
  3. the club whose association is ranked highest in the access list (see Annex A).

Clubs that are not admitted are replaced in accordance with Paragraph 4.09.

This article is not applicable if any of the cases listed under Paragraph 5.01 happens between a club directly qualified to the UEFA Champions League group stage and one qualified for any stage of the UEFA Europa Conference League.

Article 5.04 was surprising to me. They only care inasmuch as there’s a risk of the two clubs actually competing in the same competition, not about multi-club ownership as a concept. (Maybe not that surprising…)

3 Likes