UEFA Europa League

Rangers go up one, Benfica dominate and finally get a goal through a penalty.

Rangers go and then score with their second attack to make it 2-1 :joy:

Posted at 20:4420:44

Konate change precautionary

FT: Sparta Prague 1-5 Liverpool

Some good news for Liverpool fans.

Boss Jurgen Klopp says Ibrahima Konate’s substitution was just ‘precautionary’.

He has also said two-goal scorer Darwin Nunez “is not at his peak yet. He can improve”.

1 Like

West Ham have been wasteful and Freiburg ahead.

Not a good night for English teams… brilliant one for scouse :wink:

3 Likes

Liverpool, Roma and Marseille seems to be through.

1 Like

Roma needs to be banned from European football. The only way the rabid ultra gangs are going to be kept in control is when Roma is forced to forfeit the entire tie.

6 Likes

Yeah, why are the authorities so lenient?

It’s not just Roma. Yes they are a massive problem, but you get similar things going on in Naples, Milan, Florence. I say ban all Italian clubs as banning Roma won’t stop the problem, but will just see it move to another Italian team

5 Likes

And it’s certainly not only Italian fans doing it. They may be the home of ultras, but there are same or similar idiots everywhere.

2 Likes

It is very rare to hear of travelling fans in Germany, Spain, Croatia, Serbia, Holland getting stabbed. Maybe a bit of a kicking, but not the use of a knife/blade. That only tends to happen inItaly

1 Like

There was a knife murder in Greece last summer when AEK played Dinamo Zagreb (whose fans were banned and still got to Greece). Any kind of violence needs sorting out. Those with baseball bats or whatever that act like they’re better than the ones with knives are the same sick people.

1 Like

Don’t know about Croatia, but Serbia has violent elements. We don’t hear about those probably because their clubs don’t get into Europe much.

1 Like

Only if you buy dinner first.

Is that the opposite of a motorboat?

Not arguing about violent elements, but more about the use of knives/blades which is a very Italian thing.

This was happening as far back as 84, and probably even before then.

3 Likes

You’ll see the ultras of every club reigned in the minute one Italian club gets banned , in this case Roma.

The problem extends beyond Roma and is an institutional problem within Italy but banning Roma should be the first step.

2 Likes

vince vaughn motorboat GIF

1 Like

I disagree.

Ban Roma, and the other clubs will try to reign in their own ultras, but the ultras hold far to much power over most clubs, so they will eventually cave into the ultras. Ban them all and the clubs, FA and Seri A will actually stand together and bring the ultras back under control but the only way they can do that is by forcing all parties to work as 1.

3 Likes

A group of Partizan hooligans killed one Toulouse fan in Belgrade in 2009. It wasn’t much comfort but at least people who were involved got caught and sentenced to prison, some of them after hiding for years. It was a small group but that’s genuinely one of club’s lowest points in its entire history.

Other than that, I can’t remember such an incident happening here, at least not off the top of my head. Serbian clubs actually do play in Europe (mostly in Europa League), though they rarely make it past group stage of various competitions.

One worrying aspect is that certain fan groups are more involved with heavy criminal activities than supporting their club, which is the reason why I don’t go stadiums more often. There’s a lot of infighting, allegedly because of the aforementioned reasons. At least they are not targeting rival fans, eh… That said, I avoid wearing Liverpool shirts on Crvena Zvezda or Partizan home match days. Even though their fans I know are extremely cool folks, it’s enough to run into one idiot who’s high or drunk or just looking for fight.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/AnfieldSector/status/1766088661810942239

2 Likes

Got the three motm right though.

1 Like