UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

You would hope that any half decent medical professional would not do that.

But with this clown, nothing would be a surprise

1 Like

Any chance Labour can build from this position of strength or will they do their usual implosion before the next election?

Only three things are sure, taxes, death and Labour will fuck up.

3 Likes

We need a sad reaction emojiā€¦

FIFY

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got two words for youseā€¦

Coalition.

Does this apply in FPTP? That 5% for SNP can mean 40+ seats while the 9% for LDP can mean 20 seats.

1 Like

Labour with a 4-point lead. Over this shower.

Iā€™d be worried if I supported Labour.

I do worry. A four point lead is nowhere near enough to overcome an 80 seat majority.

But I think the problem is more systemic in the country than just laughing and pointing at Labour.

2 Likes

Arenā€™t you more worried about supporting the shower?

Only an Australian would bring coal into it.

1 Like

Boris is a dead man walking imo. Problem then is Toryā€™s close ranks again and weā€™re back at square 1 with people happy to vote for destruction of the NHS etc.

(Iā€™m so disillusioned) I cannot see past Boris not being Lord Boris in 10 years timeā€¦

From afar, I could understand the last election result, as Brexit complicated matters and did odd things to the electorate.

But now that we have had a few years of this, surely the country will go to Labour next time. And if not, why not? Itā€™s too simplistic to say the Tory press did this or that.

If Labour canā€™t win a general election against this shower, it tells us two uncomfortable truths (uncomfortable for those leaning left).

1. The country does not lean to the left
  2. Labour havenā€™t presented a compelling enough case under a compelling enough leader, to persuade them
3 Likes
  1. The UK is dominated by England, which is a fundamentally conservative country.

2. Itā€™s a very long time since the Labour party put a compelling case under a compelling leader, and when they last did, he turned out to be a total slimebag.

I fear they wonā€™t. Next election is 2024 I think. Long enough for the dark forces in the shadows of the Conservative party to push BJ out and put someone like Sunak in. That also gives them enough time to declare a new start. Labour canā€™t build up any worthwhile momentum while they continue to squabble internally.

And as @Bekloppt says the UK is predominantly conservative. I donā€™t think it wants to be but thatā€™s what people have been lead to believe. Remember the discussion on voting intention and that questionnaire a few of us tried above? Itā€™s also worth noting the damage done by the likes of Farage, Murdoch and the Barclay brothers who essentially managed to convince people their interests were better served being further to the right then they really are.

Iā€™m struggling to recall a precedent for this. Quite remarkable.

And ran on a new labour (neo liberal) platform that is more appealing to borderline Tory voters than is a traditional Harold Wilson style labour platform.

People generally like Labour style policies. They dont like thinking of themselves as Labour voters though.

1 Like

In lots of places, and Im presuming the UK is one, its fairly modern thing for it to even be legally possible.

1 Like

That has a landmark case feeling about it to me.