UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

It’s a good deal on the face of it.

From the BBC article.

For Australia, the deal eliminates tariffs from 99% of its exports and makes it easier for Australians to live and work in the UK

Immigrants are welcome but I draw the line at a @SBYM invasion.

Not sure farmers are happy. They’ve had restrictions placed on the European market and now face this down the line.

1 Like

Surprising result. Commentators thought Lib Dems would just miss out. Betting markets had a very late swing in favour of lib dems as polls were closing I believe…

Why do you think we sent him over? :rofl:

On the face of who, @aussielad or @SBYM :rofl: sorry I just could help myself, like the UK government. :rofl:

I got a passport, so good luck getting rid of me!

Tongue Out GIF by MOODMAN

Am I thinking that there was a casual agreement here that labour would allow the Lib Dems a free run at this bi-election?

Yes, and it should be a wake-up call to the left.

2 Likes

Hope so. Labour and Plaid have linked up recently too in Wales. Not sure what that means election time but it’s about time some common sense occurred. Slight concern is not a peep from Starmer on that deal.

While speaking of Starmer yet again this thing that Johnson continually spouts about Labour keeping us in the European vaccine agreement thingy really needs to be shut down by him. To my mind this is where he continually fails in PMQ’s.

Not sure he can.

My understanding is that the agreement does not stop any nation doing its own vaccine programme but I may be wrong on that.

Was taking him back one of the Australian negotiating points?

In fairness there’s been a long tradition of the exchange of dubious characters between the UK and Australia.
Nothing new about that.

Is the idea that EU countries all have the same vaccine strategy? Because that doesn’t seem to be true at all.

1 Like

Historically thought, the flow was largely reversed.

Losing a seat that has been held for two centuries has to be blood in the water for BoJo now.

1 Like

I’ve got ILR, dude…

Suck it.

I would expect so. He was already losing his support from within the party, and the only thing he appeared to offer was chutzpah and the image of being a vote winner. Things could obviously swing around again in his favour, but I don’t know if there are enough people who want it to.

1 Like

I’m sure you’re making a valued contribution. Just keep the budgie smugglers for special occasions.

1 Like

Dead man walking IMO.

Big question will be how easy will it be to evict him from no. 11 given his history of when he was no longer mayor of London.

Why? It’s probably better if it’s tacit, otherwise the Tories would just use it as scaremongering about the SNP again…

2 Likes