UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Great stuff from Hislop, especially from 2.40

3 Likes

Johnson is by all accounts quite lazy and doesn’t keep up with the paper work. His staff probably have it, if he doesn’t personally.

I dont think he would have called a 3pm statement in the house if they didn’t have it

So lazy as not to want to read a report that might cost him the job he’s craved since he was a child?

That’s really lazy.

1 Like

Sorry, this may clarify the situation

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1486275470807257090?t=MJ2N8RNTs8hz9R5JsJp58A&s=19

No problem

Just all a bit weird that we’re sort of hanging on this report when in reality it’s not really needed in any shape or fashion.

2 Likes

Gives him deniability while others work out possible lines of defence for him?

There is no way he or his office won’t be aware of the contents. His staff and Special Advisors will be in regular contact over this sort of thing I am sure, especially as it involves stuff being given to the police.

Johnson is trying to buy himself time. Those who want Johnson out either do not want to be seen as pushing him (conservative leadership candidates) or think that prolonging this continues to weaken Conservative support (opposition parties).

1 Like

The published report…

new york times truth GIF by ADWEEK

2 Likes

Not at all.

Neither of them have ‘it’.

2 Likes

I reckon it’s specifically so he doesn’t get it before PMQs.

1 Like

Sadly, Boris only being slightly troubled by a poor Keir (given the circumstances)

Difficult PMQ’s for Starmer that one given that the report isn’t out. He had to go down the partygate route but it doesn’t have much teeth at the moment. He took some interesting lines though - ministerial code, etc.

i did like that he pointed out to all the jeering MP’s that they would have to “defend this next” referring of course that we now have a PM subject to a police investigation

I thought Boris came across as fucking unhinged. Ranting and raving about any old shit that came to mind. Shouting half formed garbled points that went nowhere.

I don’t know how anyone could look at those two and and conclude that Johnson would be the better Prime Minister.

6 Likes

I hadn’t realised that it was Sue Gray who referred the matter to the police. That’s not good for Mr Tumble. I strongly doubt he’ll see out the week.

3 Likes

Mr Tumble…

Classic.

Pretty standard every Wednesday to be honest. Purely playing to the crowd, zero actual substance and questionable accuracy.

1 Like

True, but it’s questionable which crowd he’s playing to at this point. The country are sick of him, half his own benches hate him, and the speaker looks tired of his bullshit.

1 Like

Boris just blustered, was all he had to do. Keir wasted questions as he knew exactly what Boris would say ie bugger all.

As a person, maybe Keir would be a better PM but the proof of the pudding will never be eaten I suspect. After every fuck up this government has made, to have done so little is reprehensible. Maybe a little whataboutism but pulling this government down should be as complicated as dropping a bag of cement. The next 24 / 48 hours will form the politics of this country for many years to come. If Boz survives, Keir has to go.