UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Now you’re just being sheepish.

1 Like

That subscription to The Tribune really starting to inform your views… :wink:

Guy Fawkes? Fail to blow up a meeting of the conservative party? Or would he have done better with modern explosives? :rofl:

Who? BBC or bust for me, left as FCUK that it is. Times crossword at breakfast today though, need balance :wink:

While I might agree with the principle, not sure a flight to Os-Trail-ya really is an area that this govt needs to project strength. The Australian LNP are basically like their slightly dimmer sibling who hangs out with the same crowd.

I’m sure political optics were not the only optics getting hammered on that flight…! :0)

Whereas I think the bbc is pretty right wing and guilty of giving Tory governments an easy ride.

That probably suggests it’s getting the balance about right.

4 Likes

More than likely.

But Dr Who ffs……

Erm, amazing what you can do with more traditional blackpowder based products :sparkler:

Quick, reach for common ground… :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m very wet in Ambleside, couldn’t get more grounded.

I’ve heard people saying it’s gone Woke, but I’m a nerd enough to be able to reference Jon Pertwee bollocking the brigadier for bombing the Silurians. I just think the problem in the last few years is that the writing is terrible.

Anyway, RTD is back next year, and the whole thing is being farmed out to the Bad Wolf independent production. Could be just what it needs.

Sorry what? Politics, you say?

On the topic of the BBC, surely it’s not too far a stretch to suggest that it’s a large organisation filled with people with different views, whose output therefore results in different biases depending on what particular item you’re picking?

I’m not personally bothered about the private plane. There are some features of running a government that are expensive, and to the man in the street you can always say it could and should be cheaper.

Government owned housing, and lots of nice flats in some of the best parts of London? Surely you could sell them all and do it cheaper! Government cars? What’s wrong with a Ford Fiesta? It will get them from a to b. Government dispatch cases, some nice high end red leather there. I got a bag at Aldi for £20! Houses of Parliament? So expensive. There’s loads of empty office space due to covid, and much cheaper too. Etc.

There’s a sense in which running a government - left, right, centrist doesn’t matter - will be an expensive thing. You want oversight and some sense of proportion to it, but if an official delegation takes a private plane to Australia, I’m not especially bothered by that.

Where it is currently breaking down is with top government officials, all the way up to Boris, breaking various covid gathering rules, while everyone else was supposed to be doing their bit.

Apart from policy, which will always be debated, that sort of thing will see a Prime Minister ejected. It is embarrassing and wrong. The Tories know it, and they will be putting a move on Boris soon enough, certainly before the next election.

2 Likes

I just think it’s a further example of the general disregard that these people have for the nation.

On its own it’s small beer but throw it in with everything else and I see a bunch of corrupt crooks.

Did they try and get the Aussie delegation to fly to the UK first though…
Cost nothing then… Tactic we use in our company :0)

Teams people, Teams. Or Zoom.

8000th post for the win

My point was that the cost of the plane for the return flight is probably not anywhere near £500k because it is already owned by the government, and available for official use by Ministers when needed/wanted. Not that it works out cheaper than flying 14 officials by regular flights.

The argument for having the officials on board is for ease and convenience for work discussions.

Yes, Ministers and the officials could have flown economy class for less, but in the scheme of things, the actual cost is probably much less than other more frivoulous spending goes on in Parliament or by Ministers when running their departments.

1 Like
4 Likes