UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

According to her, the moves to oust Johnson are a ‘remainer plot’ and the conspirators are ‘seeking to reverse Brexit’.

I haven’t seen that line gain much traction (she tried a few out in her rounds - presumably to see which would work) but don’t be surprised to see Johnson retreating back to casting himself and the defender of the Brexit faith and claiming only he can stop the country being taken back into the EU back the enemies of the people.

The damage Brexit has done to this country is incalculable.

3 Likes

42?

I don’t think we’ve seen the full extent yet but when you ministers quoting the benefits as being, border control, vaccine rollout and free trade deals with New Zealand and Australia it’s looking a little thin. Oh reintroduction of Freeport’s as well. Let’s not forget that gem.

The pandemic has been a wonderful mask for it sadly.

That said it’s fair to say there was always going to be a bump as the UK resets itself but I dont see where we benefit from it down the line either. That for me is where it falters, there’s no rainbow with a pot of gold.

Johnson has appointed Steven Barclay to be his aid now. That’s his 3rd job. How does he deliver for his constituents as an MP?

Guto Harri also back.

He appears to be running out of places to turn

1 Like

And yet…

1 Like

I think the key metric will be “volume” compared to pre pandemic levels. The UK was hit hard in the pandemic and therefore its full opening up has seen a rebound. More cautious approaches by other nations will not be as spectacular.

Pretty sure some stuff was posted on this a while back.

1 Like

Yes, David Davies, that well known remainer :rofl:

2 Likes

So, how likely is it that we will have more people ‘repaying’ the £40 a year but not directly benefitting from the upfront £200?

3 Likes

Taking the cringe-factor to a whole new level.

1 Like

Thank god he’s back:

6 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

Interestingly enough, it’s the second-worst when comparing since Q4 2019.

2 Likes

Angry mob around Starmer today. Turning toxic

Rubber truncheons and cs spray :rage:

Is this personal between Johnson and Starmer because of Worboys? It just seems so stupid.

My guess is as Starmer called out Johnson as quoting right wing nut jobs for the smear. The right wing nut jobs got angry.

1 Like

That looked sinister to me. There are definite ramifications to the things we say. The scale is different, but last January Trump stirred up an angry mob and they stormed the Capitol building and several people were killed in the violence.

Also, policing in America has a lot more wrong with it than policing in the UK, but I wouldn’t be against the needle shifting a bit back home. After telling people repeatedly to move out of the way, there should be some enforcement, not retreat. Pepper spray in the face, taser, rubber bullet. I’m not entirely sure what the remedy is, but something unpleasant for the person on the receiving end, such that they have a bit more respect.

Watching that reminded me of Robin Williams, live at the Met in the mid 1980s, when he summed up British police enforcement with the phrase, “Stop, or I’ll say stop again!”

2 Likes

Nipple cripples. That would sort it.

1 Like