UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Thought that meself for a long time now. They cannot bring themselves to accept their communist ideals are long dead buried in the country of their birth , to the point at which they now find themselves siding with a fascist kleptocracy. And then wonder how the Tories managed an 80 seat majority at the last election. Incompetent and deluded are two of the kinder epithets you could use for them.

4 Likes

Britain is reduced to hurling meaningless threats against the Russians , at which they predictably scoff. We seem to have forgotten that diplomacy is a game for grown-ups.

3 Likes

Could the UK government pressure Putinby putting the squeeze on Russian oligarchs that reside and deal in London? I know they have threatened this, sort of.

A bit counter productive considering some of them are also Tory donors.

Nicki Minaj GIF

Did I open a can of something?

Well, youā€™re not the first to mention it, but the government donā€™t seem keen to discuss the issue.

The government has further strengthened existing targeted sanctions against Russia last week.

:thinking:

Considering he wants to (or at least claims so) root out their corrupt, racist, misogynistic culture, Iā€™m not surprised.

2 Likes

They want Priti Patel to be able to nominate a BoJo lacky without Sadiq Khan from preventing it

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

2 Likes

You are not serious ???

You donā€™t create such a ā€œtestā€. Also, some sectors of Russian defense industry are world leading, others far behind. In EWAR for instance, Russia is king. And you donā€™t ā€œtestā€ a ā€œNo-Fly zoneā€, seriously mate, you just donā€™t. Remember the range of Russian GBAD. They would be enveloped. It is a bat shit mad idea and I truly hope you were light hearted.

In terms of measures, I am sure the US are indeed contemplating it as an escalation step and a way to show credibility. They do love to use the toys and avoid boots on the ground, after all.

However, my hope is that the White House is firmly looking for means to provide Putin a way out. I donā€™t think an escalation measure is the right step at this point. An explicit no-fly would increase potential humiliation.

2 Likes

It is also exceptionally difficult to do in terms of a military technical solution. I refuse to think that the US is contemplating it, it means in effect a direct confrontation with Russia which no one wants. The US would surely only contemplate that if it was 100% sure Russia was bluffing. And I donā€™t believe it is 100% sure.

I agree, but the essence of this situation is contemplating direct confrontation with Russia. Rightly or wrongly, in US circles no-fly zones are seen as an intermediate step.

And also consider that since she took over, crime numbers have increased, but crimes solved has dropped.

Now, that is not purely all down to her, but as the top cop in London, she has to take a fair share of the blame when these sort of stats and figures point to things havenā€™t worked out.

I havenā€™t actually seen any signs out of Washington that they want to guarantee Ukraineā€™s protection. After all, time is almost up, or could be. Russia is ready to go in a day or two if they want to.

Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

After 20 February is probably the opportune time, but if they want surprise, then in a couple of days is maybe better.