UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

There was something on twitter suggesting Wednesday was being suggested.

1 Like

On the radio this evening there was a consensus forming around 16th.

1 Like

Darn it, looks like Iā€™m going to have to go back to the bookies to amend my bet on an asteroid killing all life on earth.

I was convinced that was a sure thing. I would have been dead minted

:clap:

Noice.

Peter Derek Truscott, Baron Truscott (born 20 March 1959) is a British petroleum and mining consultant, independent member of the House of Lords and writer. He was a Labour Member of the European Parliament (MEP) from 1994 to 1999 and was elevated to the peerage in 2004. He has written on Russia, defence and energy, and works with a variety of companies in the field of non-renewable resource extraction.

Previously somewhat low-profile in British politics, Truscott made headlines in 2009 as one of four Labour peers named by the Sunday Times as being willing to accept money to help companies amend bills that would have an adverse effect on them.[1] He consequently became one of the first peers suspended from the House of Lords since the 17th century.

In 1991, he met and rapidly married Svetlana Chernikov, daughter of a Red Army colonel. By 2008, the couple owned a Ā£1 million apartment in Mayfair, a flat in Bath and property in Russia.

Truscott is currently Parliamentary British Council Ambassador to the Russian Federation and republics of the former Soviet Union.

election 2016 russian mole GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Well, he was elected by a public vote so too fucking bad.

2 Likes

Khan should put the boots in hard. Ottawa has had a troubled police force for years, and we are reaping that harvest now with this absurd occupation, in which at least some of the police are complicit, and the rest are inert.

4 Likes

What sort of cladding and draught exclusion do they recommend?

1 Like

That is an astonishing decline in Fertility. Numbers like that donā€™t move in that sort of time scale! My first take was 2020, pandemic reduction, however that would be only a minor effect because of the 9-month lag. I suspect 2021ā€™s number would be even lower, but more of a blip.

2 Likes

This is the thread from Chris Giles. Interesting read.

1 Like

Not sure where to put this but I find this article troubling. While the title and it premise sound reasonable, i.e. balanced views should be given, there is something insidious about the actual content, the guidanceā€™s (mis)application and the subject areas specifically mentioned. There is the whiff of what is going on in the US, with parent/political power being overtly applied to supress educational discourse.

p.s. Iā€™m surprised that evolution and gender equality arenā€™t mentionedā€¦ (or did I miss it)

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1494216676262436866?t=p5FielItQbxzx6bbJm-l1A&s=19
https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1494241247501983746?t=xcYBH-dGsONJt6I0LcnapQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1494241961187938311?t=jc32rXYXuM5ymO1gg0J4Eg&s=19

2 Likes

When I was at school teaching about the British Empire was anything but balanced. We were taught that it was a great thing and a civilising force around the world. No mention of famines, brutality, drug dealing etc. Slavery was unfortunate, but we quickly abolished it, which shows how humane we were.

3 Likes

Has this in part stemmed from kids being asked whether Johnson lied, broke guidance with parties and should resign if thatā€™s been found as true?

Top Trump all over.

You know itā€™s bad when primary school kids take the piss out of youā€¦

1 Like

Welcome to every day in my life right now.