UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

Absolutely disgusting.

3 Likes

Wtf. I think this is the lowest act of a government in my lifetime. It’s Windrush on steroids. It’s forced repatriation beyond even that of the Chagos islanders.

This is something the GLP should be all over.

3 Likes

Isn’t this against all international laws? At first sight, this seems like implementing a new form of official human trafficking, if not slavery.

2 Likes

It’s not my area but instinctively I’d say it was unlawful.

2 Likes

The Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees is legally binding but there are no sanctions against those that violate it.

The human trafficking angle is interesting because it definitely looks like that. What rights do they have once in Rwanda?

I think we have already seen with the Ukrainian that the UK government has no intention of carrying out it’s international obligations.

4 Likes

Would have thought it’s against international law.

2 Likes

from the BBC

*Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the scheme was needed to “save countless lives” from human trafficking.

Refugee organisations have criticised the plans as cruel and urged a rethink.

In a speech in Kent, Mr Johnson argued action is needed to stop “vile people smugglers” turning the ocean into a “watery graveyard”, added the the plan was designed to break their business model.

How the hell does this save lives? Rwanda’s human rights record isn’t exactly golden. Secondly, breaking the trafficking business model. It does nothing of the sort.

Does this need to be voted in? if so we’ll soon see the colour of Conservative MP’s bellies.

1 Like

I found the original UNHCR press release but not in relation to today’s announcement:

https://www.unhcr.org/uk/news/press/2021/9/614c163f4/unhcr-uk-asylum-bill-would-break-international-law-damaging-refugees-and.html

The analysis of the draft bill was here: https://www.unhcr.org/6149d3484/unhcr-summary-observations-on-the-nationality-and-borders-bill-bill-141

1 Like

I guess they should be thankful it’s not Afghanistan….

Process refugees in country of origin
Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

What makes it different from, e.g. the Australian situation?

Would I be too cynical if I said it’s probably so he can butter up his backbenches to avoid further action on Partygate?

2 Likes

Johnson said in his speech that they anticipated legal challenges. They all know it’s as dodgy as fuck but it gives them another opportunity to bang their Brexit drum… which he duly did; ‘we’re taking back control’ was gleefully trotted out yet again.

2 Likes

It’s impossible to be too cynical with that twat.

3 Likes

Come on, look at the positives. First thing you get now when arriving in the UK is a holiday in the sun at the tax payers’ expense. The Express and Mail will have a field day.

2 Likes

For me, it’s a cynical and transparent attempt to make migration to the UK by refugees and illegal migrants so unappealing as to diminish the numbers that might attempt it.

That’s the reference to saving lives and breaking the traffickers business model because if nobody wants to come here they’re not paying criminal gangs for the chance to risk their lives in a dinghy crossing the Channel.

It’s utterly appalling. No chance will such a system withstand legal challenge so it seems to serve very little purpose other than to reinforce the notion of the UK as a “hostile environment”.

Dickwads.

4 Likes

So, don’t let the Good Law Project attempt a legal challenge then?

2 Likes

Haha…you know exactly where I like to be tickled.

There are better organisations to do so, yeah, but a challenge should definitely be made. I’d prefer if it was done by a team that knows what they’re doing, yes.

3 Likes

Have i missed something .Was this plan not mentioned a good few days ago and no one seemed to be as pissed off then.

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy: