UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

In some ways I’m surprised Labour have gone so hard after Boris. I guess they have to be seen to be forcing the issues and with them on the losing end of an 80 seat majority I suppose they’ll go after anything they can get. Almost better for them to have him leading the Conservatives at the next election. Such an easy target to go after at that point.

For me there’s two reasons why Boris has lasted as long as he has and both are tactical from a Conservative perspective. The first being that he’s purged the party of anyone that could present any level of decency and challenge to him. He’s filled the party with “yes men” and those that put personal progression above their purpose as an MP.
The second is Brexit. I suspect that there’s more than a few that are simply willing to sit on Boris as Brexit unfolds and will basically let him take the fall for it. A bit weird given that it damages them as a party but I think they’ve been quietly sitting there waiting, letting it all fall onto Boris until they feel that there’s a real challenge coming from Labour. That appears to be now if you look at the likes of Steve Baker suddenly changing his tune.

It’s a theory

1 Like

No chance the Conservatives call a GE when they’re sitting on such a large majority.

1 Like

Whatever comes in the way of an election imo Starmer is another Blair and given what we as a country will be facing in regards to the utility companies, sad fact is Corbyn would have been the best person to have to fight for the common person

In a way, they might be better with Johnson somehow managing to cling on. He wouldn’t win another majority.

However they have to force him out because…

a) The scale of the public outrage demands opposition. They can’t give him a strategic free pass, or they’ll be swept up in the fall out.

b) The matter of basic decency, and the damage to Parliament of not removing him

c) If you’re the opposition and you have the chance to take down a Prime Minister, you take it.

d) The Tories are desperately short of talent at this point. Who do they turn to after Johnson? Liz Truss? That would be a gift to Labour.

1 Like

I agree on Corbyn. But I also think the attacks on Starmer are desperately unfair. He isn’t a Tory in disguise. He is far more interested in social justice, equality and fairness than Blair ever was.

4 Likes

Fair point on who comes next.

1. A tax dodging Chancellor?
  2. A bully home secretary who likes saying “absolutely”?
  3. Jeremy “NHS Demolition contractor” Cunt?
  4. Dominic “I like my holidays” Raab?
  5. Liz “Instagram and cheese” Truss?
  6. Michael “my wife also takes eye tests by driving” Gove

Not a lot in there is there?

1 Like

I would disagree. Corbyn has a strong and loyal following, but his appeal doesn’t carry beyond that. His lack of popularity was a factor in Johnson winning the last election. He’s only made that worse since.

3 Likes

Fascinating thoughts, and yes from a policy perspective you’re probably right but he sadly couldn’t manage his way out of a paper bag let alone lead a party / government. I also suspect that he didn’t quite have drive for it either. I wonder what he would have done on the Ukraine front for example?

1 Like

Maybe , but he also has the same spin style of Blair and that’s what irks me about him, any bandwagon and he’s on it, if Deidre was being charged now he’d go one further than Blair’s statements and would offer to represent her :joy:.

I jest of course , but sad fact is I don’t think there are many( within the political set up ) that truly grasp the extent of the damage the utility companies charges are going to cause …this should be making the poll tax riots look like small fry imo.

And the truth is, it has to start to be discussed about nationalisation, because the private sector has fleeced us to the bone and the fact that bills are trebling even though people are having to turn off the hot water tap and heating is disgusting

Local elections - winning will boost Labour’s momentum going into the summer. If Johnson steps down after the May elections and Labour haven’t made any public effort to get him to do so, they will have missed an opportunity.

Push against him now and whatever the Conservative MPs do short of removing Johnson prior to the voting in May allows Labour to control messaging in the consistuencies they compete in.

1 Like

Many of the best politicians are not MPs. David Miliband, Andy Burnham, Rory Stewart…

Sad state of affairs.

3 Likes

I think Starmer is a tory at heart, he’s shown his true colors before and will again. I feel he’s very dangerous for the labour party if he ever becomes PM. I feel he can be very nasty toward the common people if it suits his thinking.
I don’t think he’s anything like Blair he hasn’t that manipulative side or the political intelligence. Blair was a very effective negociator who kept his cards hidden a great politician untill he made a fatal decission.
Not saying I liked his policies just that he deserves his dues even if the tory press says otherwise.

This isn’t a utility company issue. It’s a government legislation and supply issue. The cost of energy is up something like 8 fold in the last year or so, and these companies are capped as to the maximum they can charge customers. Those caps can only be raised twice a year.

1 Like

I disagree , Corbyn was exactly what labour needed , to many champagne fake labour supporters who really didn’t give two shits about voters in Wales and up north or anywhere from working class communities, he was needed to break blairism and the toxicity of Blair still runs rife now , labour lost the working class vote because they opted for the glamour of the London bubble, Corbyn ironically from the London bubble actually showed more interest about going back to the roots of labour which made them a viable option than any previous labour leaders imo since John Smith

1 Like

Like I said, from a policy perspective I think you’re right. The problem was the man himself. Many people couldn’t stand him for one reason or another, including a Tory smear campaign. But he had nothing in his arsenal to counter it.

2 Likes

Arh gotcha, thing with Corbyn that got me was one day he would advocate a policy and talk about it at length and it would make sense , the next day he’d say something else and would be made to look foolish, but his main focus of nationalisation would have been safer in his hands than anyone currently on offer (if nationalisation was ever on the cards)

1 Like

I think Corbyn could have been successful had he felt able to give voice to his own leanings towards the EU (he was eurosceptic if not a closet Leaver). He would have retained the red wall then at only small cost to the support from the so-called ‘metropolitan elite’.

Should not underestimate how ruthless a leader Johnson has been.

Behind the persona of a bumbling fool, everyone (bar Gove) who has crossed him, or seen as threat has been attacked and discredited.

Never blood on his hands, but just look at the leaks at Sunak or how he cut Cummings, to people like Neil Ferguson. Dirty politics has become a norm. Parroting pre-scripted tweets not even subtle , and selling their souls lying, every other week not believing the words coming out of their mouths a bad joke.

Calling many of them yes men is too kind. Many either lack any backbone or are self motivated opportunists with no morals.

It’s not a party because talent and morals have been stripped.

5 Likes

His lack of popularity was the factor in Johnson winning the last election. fify

3 Likes

The worst defeat in its history ?