UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

If I were Starmer:

1. Make a public video and pay to advertise the fuck out of it of Boris saying there were no parties, then suitable back-tracks and photographs.

2. See him sacked.

It’s not tricky.

It is when you’ve got the entire right-wing media banging on about the fact you had a beer.

3 Likes

Boris Johnson was asked: "Will the Prime Minister tell the House whether there was a party in Downing Street on 13 November?"He replied: "No, but I am sure that whatever happened, the guidance was followed and the rules were followed at all times."Photos leaked to ITV News - and those later published in the Sue Gray report - showed him holding a glass of fizz aloft at a leaving drinks for aide Lee Cain on that very day.

Irrelevant if you make your point sufficiently vociferously.

Yes, I look to the opposition to do something constructive with this smoking gun. Boris is a limpet and the 1922 are backing him as I suspect they can’t explain his success and don’t want to sack somebody who’s actually made of lard and teflon.

1 Like

Do you have a quote?

That’s precisely the quote I picked out yesterday (I think) and I pointed out why his answer isn’t the gotcha it’s claimed to be.

Except that it’s a double “gotcha”.

The fact that Bozo supporters are trying to cling on to this is pathetic.

2 Likes

I’m not a Johnson supporter. Just making an observation.

1 Like

As @cynicaloldgit has already said, there is little more the opposition parties can do at this stage. Johnson has been protected every step of the way by his MPs and sympathetic press. It’s now up to them to decide how far into the gutter they are going to let him drag the country.

What the opposition parties could do, and to my eternal frustration that they don’t, is a) start developing a formal electoral pact and b) set out a jointly prepared programme of government based around aggressive reform of parliament and standards in public life.

A defence which would quite clearly fail any kind of ‘reasonable person’ test.

1 Like

Of course, the more reasonable defence to have been found to have been at a party one previously claimed to have no knowledge of is ‘I don’t remember being there - I was pissed’

Not really - arguable it entirely depends on what someone would consider to be a “party”. By saying “No, [he won’t say if there was a party]” he’s leaving the question of determination/interpretation open, whilst not committing himself.

Or, “call that a party? There wasn’t even any coke or prostitutes”

1 Like

I’ll defer to your legal expertise, but I don’t think Johnson is clever enough to do that, and I think he is clearly saying ‘no there wasn’t a party’.

1 Like

Oh, I agree. But my observation was that the way the question is phrased gives him this ‘out’.

It does still leave Johnson with the excuse of saying that whatever it was he didn’t think it amounted to a party.

Thought that was his job?

Funny; I thought prime ministers were supposed to take responsibility. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

How many years have you been listening to PMQS? What they’re supposed to do (tell the truth) and what they actually do (tell what they’ve rehearsed) are two entirely different things. I’m absolutely sure there’s a Yes Prime Minister video that demonstrates this being the case 40 years ago.

Need a @Dutch ‘have you really watched 10 matches?’ vs @Klopptimist ‘Yes Prime Minister. Yes Prime Minister? Yes Prime Minister!’ thread.

Must. See. Showdown.

2 Likes