UK Politics Thread (Part 1)

You have a much lower threshold for humour than me.

lol ā€¦ heā€™s changed the ministerial code now so that he wonā€™t be forced to resign if the committee finds against him.

Itā€™s atrocious

Forum fav Rory Stewart. Some really good stuff in here.

1 Like

Can he actually do that without a vote? Whereā€™s that Mhairi Black speech again?

1 Like

Not to say the changes arenā€™t significant, but they may not be what are being reportedā€¦

https://twitter.com/timd_IFG/status/1530244747549413377?s=20&t=U6nWgfmz_lWnYYl1JOwT2A

1 Like

Also worth remembering that the PM has always been the sole and ultimate arbiter of the ministerial code.

2 Likes

Not sure how Sue Gray or the police were not able to get testimonies and evidence like this. It should be the end

but the Tory party being what it is now I suspect it will take something like the news above from @redfanman to get the remaining letters in. Given what has happened, 20 letters of no confidence to date is pathetic.

1 Like

We donā€™t know how many letters of no confidence have been submitted do we? The number above was of 20 MP speaking out publically for the PM to resign, there may be others who have submitted letters but not gone public.

3 Likes

True, but as Boris has argued he has always followed the ministerial codeā€¦. It does not exactly inspire confidence when 48 hours after Sue Grey report he rewrites it.

Itā€™s foolish to do this now unless itā€™s somehow advantageous to him (or his inner circle). I am not sure exactly how it does. But it does not pass the smell test.

2 Likes

I got that figure from the BBC. They believe there are 20 letters but you make a fair point, there could be more but he still seems pretty comfortable to me.

1 Like

54 letters wouldnā€™t be the end though. That then triggers a no confidence motion voted on by the whole Conservative MPs. The majority are not going to kick him out.

1 Like

A Tory ā€˜insiderā€™ was quoted as saying yesterday that he believed the number of letters had reached forty.

Isnā€™t it quite rare for Prime Ministers to survive a no confidence?

Itā€™s very hard for a Prime Minister to go back to the country after their own MPs have expressed no confidence.

Getting there!! But as I understand it, thereā€™s only one person who knows for sure.

But Labour are no better, according to Rory Smith. And Klopptimist.

Worth looking at the Rory Stewart vid I posted above. He highlights some issues that Labour have. In short, labour remain hamstrung by Brexit but they also dont have anything that people can hang their hats on. Thereā€™s very little in the way of policy other than proposals to counter the latest government shit show.

1 Like

Why would Labour name all their policies 3 years before the next GE? Stewart criticised Labours lack of policy then went on about how Boris steals policies ( again with the ā€˜both sides do itā€™. Typical Conservative). And spent the whole time going on about Boris being a serial lier.

Keeping in mind Boris lacks the ability to tell the truth, I would honestly be disappointed if Labour laid out every plan this early. If there is anything juicy Boris will steal and claim as his own with the backing of the press and it would be like it never came from Labour. Rory Stewart is merely trying to even up the odds given how far the Conservatives have fallen/are falling. Fuck him.

3 Likes