UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Hi @Redbj it’s showing the change in school funding since 2004. You can see that from 2010-2015 funding for govt schools fell by about 20% before flatlining while private school funding continued to grow throughout the entire period to 2020 ending up over 50% per pupil.

cheers

is everything after the 0% value for both in 2004 then the same in dollar value.

for eg;

if a state funded school student had $100 in 2010, but a privately funded student had $3.60 it would still be an incremental percentage increase the following year if it was $110 vs $3.96

in which case maybe the state funded education had a push in the five years prior to 2011 and just platuead and then decreased expenses.

the dollar figure i feel is important, as perhaps that 2004-2011 figure for state funded schools maybe included a hell of alot of upfront costs, meaning continued increases were not actually required?

what are the actual dollar values by 2022? becuase if privately funded schools were getting increased funding but it was inline with inflation i think thats not unfair.

for my 2 cents, theres nothing wrong with the state subsidising some part of private education, as in every student starts with say (arbitrary here) 45 per child, then the state funded schools get additional budgets.

not sure if im making my point very well…in short, is the graph corrupted by state spending blowouts in the era 2004-2011 but the dollar value per student acceptable, otr is it just a shit show of epic proportions?

What you also have to remember is that govt schools in the UK are not luxuriously funded and, unlike private schools, don’t have fee income that they have some capacity to raise if required. Also while the dollar amounts may show, as you hypothesise, that the private school numbers are from a lower base it is much more important to note that total funding per pupil in the private sector in 2004 will almost certainly be much higher than the public sector. In other words govt funding is being used to further increase the funding advantage of private school pupils rather than reduce it. Hence ‘levelling up’ is an Orwellian term used by the tories.

1 Like

More detail

4 Likes

Of course the noticeable thing is that state schools spending per pupil with Gordon Brown as Chancellor or PM was rising, percentage wise, with cost of living and independant schools. Tories come in and destroy all Gordons good work that he was so proud about, fought hard for and achieved!

3 Likes

We should have a ‘what if?’ thread
What if Gordon Brown hadn’t called that bigotted woman a bigot?
What if Miliband hadn’t eaten that bacon butty?

Also so often in history the good/nice thoughtful guy goes down as a complete cunt. Whilst the cunt goes down in history as the great savour.
So fucked up our world when it comes to winners and losers!

1 Like

Nice to see a journalist actually press the government on things rather than being a nodding donkey.

Ripped off in plain site. Always good when you have a government minister who thinks Crewe is in Wales.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to get my head around the Welsh system at the moment. Like the NHS it is creaking but both are devolved. The education funding system in Wales is different to that in England and its still a mess but it is understanding how the system in England influences those in Wales is difficult. As it is with the NHS.

But as I said earlier hands tied but head above the parapet to be shot at.

Why should he start now?

2 Likes

Good old IDS, still blaming Labour twelve years after they left office…

I’d rather have IBS.

4 Likes

I can’t be bothered clicking on a Telegraph link. What’s this orthodoxy he is on about given that Gordon Brown largely adopted the same fiscal policy as Ken Clarke.

2 Likes

To quote:

"The man who said he had brought an end to the cycle of boom and bust, only to deliver perhaps the biggest bust of all in 2008, has very much been at the heart of what we now refer to as Treasury orthodoxy.

The mindset Brown did so much to create is front and centre in the establishment attack on Liz Truss.

The “steady as she goes” mantra beloved by mandarins, as though there can be no alternative, is now being challenged. And they do not like it."

1 Like

How on earth was this brainless numbskull ever leader of the Conservative Party…

Oh wait.

1 Like

His ineptitude made sure he was still in the running when other better candidates either distanced themselves from the job or outed themselves as way to intelligent to be in politics.
Rory says Hi

The Tories are still peddling the shite that the 2008 recession was Labour’s fault. As if Brown was going round selling sub prime mortgages to broke Americans.

3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

In other news, an overwhelming majority of voters are in favour of free ice cream.

It is a remarkably dishonest discussion. The entire conversation is focused around how the voter/taxpayer won’t actually have to bear the costs because of the magical effects of the windfall tax. The price caps cannot work if the market cannot clear without supply imported from outside the jurisdiction of the UK government, which we know is the case. If price cannot move, then supply will. It is heading towards a winter of price caps and blackouts.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how this all expected to work in practice but I understood the proposal to be that while the cost to the consumer ( individuals/ families) is kept at the current rate the government steps in and pays the additional cost with funds raised via the windfall tax and other workarounds - so the price is moving?

Apparently there were reports yesterday at least one of the UK power companies has proposed voluntarily putting money into a fund for the government to use.

Interesting piece in the FT suggesting that the Labour offer wouldn’t be enough anyhow as gas prices unlikely to fall by next year. Proposal could wind up costing £60-£75m rather than the £29m. Also, if gas prices don’t fall the savings from lower inflation costs don’t materialise.

2 Likes

Right, and that is where the dishonesty lies. If the prices to consumers don’t go up, demand will not moderate. But we already know that the market is structurally short, to brutal levels. If demand is not dramatically curtailed, the wholesale price is going to have to spike incredibly, even if the retail price is fixed. Now, the proposal is that the windfall tax will magically be able to cover that spread between the consumer and wholesale prices. The windfall being taxed is either from the gap between cost of supply to consumer and the consumer price (by definition negative here), or the gap between the cost of wholesale supply and the market price.

However, we already know that the UK can’t clear its own natural gas market (and therefore electrical market as well) without outside supply. The ‘windfall tax’ is a price cap by another name, but the more the market distorts, the more the offshore supply will benefit from being exempt from that price cap. It is possible to ensure that Centrica shareholders, for example, do not reap massive dividends from this. Perhaps that is a worthwhile policy objective in its own right…but it isn’t going to address the scarcity problem, and it won’t create the additional wealth necessary to supply the entire British public with energy at below-market prices.

You can already see this operating in the European market, and I suspect significant amounts of British gas are being contracted out for European delivery this winter precisely to shield them from this de facto confiscation.

I also think the moral hazard of the ‘temporary nationalization’ idea is being grossly understated. Brown’s equation of the situation to the 2007-08 financial collapse is grotesquely inaccurate. Those financial firms screwed up, and ran themselves into the ground. The UK energy situation is a failure of policy and market design, not a failure on the part of the energy companies - if it was, they would not have any windfall to tax (and many have already failed in the distribution sector). If the UK government is getting into the business of fixing its own policy ineptitude by penalizing investors, that precedent will be applied across every sector of the UK economy. Time to get your capital out…

4 Likes