UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I don’t think that’s even true anymore, unless your values are disregarding the rule of law, feathering your own nest from the public purse and inciting racial hatred in a bid to retain power.

There is an interesting philosophical argument about right v left, and what both should represent. To me, being left wing means you believe in public ownership, a state that can provide public services and providing a safety net for those who need it. Whereas bring right wing means that you believe that society works best when people are free to pursue an agenda of self interest, with a small state and public services paid when needed rather than retained on the the public purse. And little help for those that need it.

This mob are well to the right of that. They are despotic. If the politics of this Government were closer to my values that Starmer’s Labour, I’d be keeping quiet about it, personally.

2 Likes

You joke, but it’s incredible the impact that hateful shit like that can have on decent people. My father in law started reading the Express because the Independent stopping their print edition. It’s heart breaking to see what’s happened to him, and happens to anyone who’s primary news source is pumping hate at them.

There is a reason why these billionaires run these organs at a loss. It’s an investment to them. As a famous American media mogul (who’s name escapes me) said - I don’t own a newspaper to tell people the news. I run a newspaper so I can tell people what to think.

2 Likes

Government policy shouldn’t be create irresponsible, reckless schemes against the advice of public health experts, and hope that people are sensible enough to ignore them.

2 Likes

They are just scam merchants. I think what you have described as left-right politics is really just a narrow economic view. I think you need to incorporate things like whether a political viewpoint is socially liberal/conservative, authoritarian/libertarian, proactive/reactive amongst others. I don’t think left-right is particularly helpful with that.

With the current shower they simply look at a situation and think, “how can we make a quick buck out of this?”

5 Likes

Executed in the public square is a bit too much!

On a serious note, please keep being you. There aren’t many Tories in here, and the conversation is better for having a Tory perspective in the mix.

Obviously we all have it in us to be arses, so at that point the conversation suffers, whoever might be the one getting the hump, whether it is politics, Israel, covid, or whatever.

Hopefully we have it in us to take a breath, regroup, and overcome those sorts of wrangles when nuanced and difficult subjects are being discussed, like politics.

Anyway, keep being you. Stick to your viewpoint and represent it. The place is better for it.

1 Like

Particularly on a Liverpool forum.

Have had a subscription to the Daily Mail my whole life. Critical reading for those wanting a good handle on the cutting edge of UK politics. Also good to read daily stories about Diana.

I’d rather read the instructions on a tooth pick.

70-odd posts!!!

What happened??!?!?!?

Government imploding again. As usual.

Did Boris get caught sticking his old-fella into the lettuce?

lol at you Brits.

Cameron the pig-shagger was in charge when I got here, and look where we are now.

I should move back to Australia where things are far more sensible and forward-looking.

1 Like

Maybe I can shack up with @PeachesEnRegalia or @Arminius?

North America seems to have a better handle on things…

Damn…can’t be too many people who had ‘David Cameron in Cabinet’ on their bingo card.

2 Likes

Dubious. We are messed up enough, and things to the south are distinctly weird.

You’ve moved up the pecking order and are now 10 steps away from your 24hrs being PM.

Hopefully that will happen in Dec/Jan and I have the option if I chose to return to UK or not to deal with the fallout of that particular shitshow :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I remember when there was a bit of relief and hope when we got rid of the pig fucker who divided the country. Then we got Maybot and were relieved to see the back of her. Until we got the liar clown and were relieved to get rid of him. Then Truss fucked things up beyond what we could have imagined. Then Rishi and Cruella.

We think the bottom of the barrel is reached but have descended further into hell

2 Likes

Brexit hardman Steve Baker must be frothing all over again.

1 Like

When politicians start dehumanising vulnerable people for cheap political points, it often has unfortunate consequences.

3 Likes

Well we were going to Finland before the great Chocolate Digestive incident.

1 Like

Agreed.
But our government, like in every other country didn’t have a policy on how to deal with the pandemic.
Everyone was doing it on the hoof, as there were no benchmarks to refer to.

Granted, our government didn’t handle it well, but even the most water tight policy would have been ignored by huge sections of society.

Hoping that people would voluntarily follow any guideline or policy is as fruitless as hoping they’re sensible enough to act responsibly.

It’s much easier to blame a government you despise for 100 reasons other than Covid, than to concede that hundreds of thousands of people contributed to making Covid much worse than it could have been, through selfishness and downright irresponsibility.