UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Came across a radio interview yesterday where tte caller was not happy with Farage’s input into his Clacton constituency.

As expected he’s done f all and it looks like those that voted for him are starting to find that out.

1 Like

Also worth noting that goverment borrowing has been higher than expected for July onward. Largely driven by the pay settlements I think.

Not sure if that was planned or otherwise. Doesn’t bode well for the upcoming budget. Government needs to find cash somewhere, more than we thought a month ago.

Why did nobody warn them?!?!?!?

Deep state

1 Like

The settlements haven’t come into force yet have they?

Just saw this…

https://x.com/KatyJayne101/status/1826505490089521504?t=5m3MLylY87vG2Q-w7Ntk9Q&s=19

1 Like

Possibly but there more spending in the public sector according to this article

• net social benefits paid by central government increased by £2.7
  • central government departmental spending on goods and services increased by £1.3 billion to £35.7 billion, as inflation and pay rises increased running costs
  • In July 2024, the interest payable on central government debt was £7.0 billion. This was the second highest interest payable in any July since records began (for this component), in 1997.

I’m not sure why that would be unexpected, because it is tied to the inflation rate and they knew what that was.

It does indicate that there is “something” that had been kept off the books.

2 Likes

Plot thickens. £7bn interest! Ouch.

Truss is the gift that keeps on giving. I suspect a very large tranche of that interest is on short-term gilt (3 years or less) that went to market as she was setting fire to public finances. It would be ‘unexpected’ in the sense that schedules of that debt may not be readily available.

5 Likes

You are really putting me off lettuce

3 Likes

5 Likes

Reminiscent of the great John Cooper Clarke:

5 Likes

Insult based on a person’s skin colour. Absofuckinglutely.

1 Like

“Those with the broader shoulders should bear the heavier burden”

Bet 90 year old Ethel from Oldham will be glad to hear she’ll be able to turn her thermostat up a couple of degrees in December :roll_eyes:

I’ve only seen a snapshot of what Starmer said. Worrying. I hope we’re not facing austerity 2.0 on top of what we’ve already been through and to some degrees still in.

A higher tax on MP second incomes would be nice to see.

2 Likes

Damn, yield on Thames Water bonds just jumped 1% overnight. A crunch has to be coming, no one will put equity into that situation.

4 Likes

I’ve always thought that line was bollocks. That’s like saying that those who work the hardest should and allow others to slack off.
Q a bombing raid from the left of stage……

That presupposes that those that work the hardest are the best paid. If anything, it is usually the opposite: those with multiple jobs and working insane hours are usually the poorest paid.

11 Likes