UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I have no objection to that, because the only thing he should be learning is that that shit doesn’t work.

Pathetic from him, especially considering how much Labour were banging on and on about how the country wasn’t processing asylum seekers properly. Bonus pathetic points for being a former human rights lawyer too.

Haven’t caught up with the news on this yet, so reluctant to comment.

What promise have they explicitly made that they haven’t tried to keep yet? Because I remember Labour getting slammed for not actually promising anything, just doing number 2 of what you said. They would outline ideas, but not actually commit to doing something, the claim was.

1 Like

I would much prefer Starmer not to meet Fascists, entertain ideas about offshoring asylum claims, or abstaining on votes around Palestine.

Politics isn’t about idealism, and we certainly don’t live in an age for idealists. It’s the art of the possible.

Donald Trump is very like to be President in a year. Are you suggesting that Starmer refuses to pick up the phone? He is a world leader. He has to talk to other world leaders.

Regarding Palestine, we know there is a really strong pro Israel lobby within Labour. Starmer has to tread carefully. I know you don’t like it, and neither do I, but it’s where we are.

There are some good eggs left in the Labour party as evidenced in the video Dane posted above. Also the LDs, good to see Ed Davey speak in positive terms about immigration

I think the point being made is whether you would make the same excuses for a Tory PM doing the same things

No, I wouldn’t. Because from the Tories is was a constant fourteen years tide of shit like this. Labour are barely in power, and they are trying to deal with possibly the worst mess a country has ever had to deal with.

I can forgive them a few mistake as they try to drag the country back from the precipice. I’ve already said some of their work I’ve found disappointing.

Ironically, the thing They have taken the most flak for - the winter fuel payments - I still think they were 100% right.

In the words of Tywin Lannister, anybody who has to say “I’m in control”………

1 Like

Winter fuel payments and fuel bills not going up off the top of my head.
No tax increases, will become evident at the budget I suppose.

Or for Sue Gray, “chaos is a ladder” (Littlefinger)

They didnt rule out tax increases, only increases to specific taxes.

2 Likes

But the Express, Daily Mail and Telegraph said…

3 Likes

Having sick thoughts regarding prepubescent children is pedophilia. Acting on those thoughts is a criminal offence.

I was at a police seminar years ago where a prevalence of paedophilia was given as 5%. The sex offenders register accounts for about 0.1% of the UK population so there are clearly far more who have a predilection but don’t act on it as they don’t want to break the law or, more likely, donn’t want to cause harm to others.

In terms of doing something about it, there have been schemes to try and treat paedophiles. I think the main problem is getting people to come forward voluntarily.

2 Likes

Did they?

So still will become evident in the budget then?

1 Like

They have actually. Theyve been beating that drum for 3 months.

Did they promise that? Even I know better than to promise that…

EDIT:

Did a quick Google…

https://www.reuters.com/fact-check/no-evidence-rayner-promised-maintain-winter-fuel-payment-july-2024-2024-09-18/

1 Like

I presume the implication is that the taxes that they promised to not increase will not increase, but other taxes will.

Not sure how you can cover the supposed fiscal hole left behind by the previous government otherwise.

There’s an argument that some of the best humans are those who are of a peado nature but flatly refuse to act on it. We can’t alter what our sexual preferences are but we can control those impulses. Being attracted to children is a world away from raping them.

However paying somebody to do it for you under this government doesn’t result in prison time. WTF???

Do a less quick one :roll_eyes:

Why don’t you just share your source then? I can’t Google a promise if they never made it?