US Election 2024

Very disingenuous

https://x.com/mattmfm/status/1755952919013138935?s=61&t=VxX1vHU3NOwwNhlbyICG-g

What the press covers creates a signal about what is supposedly relevant and important. They cover questions of Bidenā€™s mental capacity incessantly ensuring it remains a central theme of the election and largely ignore issues with trump because they think people donā€™t care, ignoring that what they cover impacts what people think is important and want to hear more about.

2 Likes

Will they explain why itā€™s important for Biden, but not for Trump?

Cos the people think so.

If I look at it without bias, Bidenā€™s gaffes seem to be linked to his age while Trumps are not, whether itā€™s a fair assessment is irrelevant to perception. Itā€™s also linked to the amount of times these things happen.

The vast majority of Americans, across political divide, feel Biden is too old, whereas Trump, 2 years his junior, is not to the same extent. The reasoning is quite simply that Trump comes across as mentally sharper while Biden does not. If you look at them side by side and think they comes across as the same in this regard, then I canā€™t help explain it to you.

So, Biden is losing mental capacity with age, but Trump never had any, so thatā€™s ok?

1 Like

Someone old and cynical once said ā€œpeople are f***witsā€!

2 Likes

The Hillary emails :roll_eyes:

Sad, but true :unamused:

The focus now seems to be entirely on just eight words ; ā€œA well-meaning elderly man with memory problems.ā€

Seeing as itā€™s probably virtually impossible to change that from becoming the defining narrative of the election now , I think the Dems need to simply frame it in a different way.

As has already been discussed , Trump is not immune to memory lapses , which could actually be considererd more egregious because rather than simple slips of the tongue he keeps fucking repeating them.

If the choice come November is between the special counselā€™s version of Biden and another not so well-meaning but decidedly malevolent elderly man with memory problems , who just so happened to instigate a coup , then which one should people choose ? The choice couldnā€™t be starker.

I still refuse to even countenance the possibility of Trump being re-elected , but by fuck itā€™s getting scarier.

1 Like

As others have said, the Democrats should be making more of Trumpā€™s own gaffes.

And, ultimately, the choice to American voters is simple:

Elderly guy who occasionally gets names wrong

Or

Elderly guy who occasionally gets names wrong and is hell-bent on destroying the very democratic process upon which the country was built.

3 Likes

Who said that?

I thought old gits were incapable of being overly melodramatic.

Biden should ignore the gaffes and memory lapses (he did so last election and won), and he should focus on Trumps other issues, or my preference, focus on your own strengths rather than focusing on someone elseā€™s negatives.

1 Like

In your opinion, does Haley drop out the race if she is soundly beaten (double digits) in SC? My reasoning is that itā€™s been a landslide so far, sheā€™s still only third in the polls (Ron is still beating her in the polling, strange but true). This is her ā€œstateā€, governed for 2 terms,I think.

I know itā€™s advantageous from a democrat pov that she stays as long as possible.

I think that is a function of her donors. Presidential campaigns donā€™t end when the candidates no longer see a prospect of winning (or achieving what they were aspiring to). They end when the donors dry up and staff start getting laid off or leaving before that happens.

1 Like

Why would donors continue supporting her if there is no clear path to victory? I am also assuming here that if for whatever reason Trump pulls out, that Haley does not automatically become the nominee just because she is the last person standing. Iā€™m also assuming that the donors would see that a significant defeat in SC kills her chances.

That is why I said ā€˜achieving what they were aspiring toā€™? There have been campaigns in the past that have run with no real prospect of victory, because the candidate and a significant number of backers wanted to keep pushing that agenda. In this case, some of the money behind her might be ā€˜ABTā€™, Anybody But Trump Republicans.

Were Trump to pull out, it would really depend on timing. If he had a significant number of delegates, those delegates would be free to choose at a traditional convention. If he were to pull out tomorrow, the likelihood is that some candidates would jump back in. But if it happens about a month from now, Haley would be winning an enormous number of delegates that no other candidate could compete for. The weird possibility would be a significant number of delegates going to Trump despite him dropping out, making them a large block at the convention - conceivably one that could try to draft him back in.

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem
Trump is walking madlib just a collection of words arranged in seemingly random order with little attention paid to them having to convey an actual meaning. He has increasingly peppered his comments with sounds that are only approximations of actual words.

I understand there must be something to the comparison that makes so many people say this sort of thing. But I dont know what it is and it surely doesnt come from watching him. Doing so makes immediately clear, within seconds, that he is a rambling incoherent mess who is indistinguishable from Gary Busey.

Haleyā€™s theory appears to not have been based on beating him, but being around long enough to be the consensus alternative should something happen (legally, or one bad cheeseburger) that makes Trump all of a sudden become unviable. Much like Cruz going all the way to the convention in 2016, I suspect she will stick around long after its clear she cannot win

gary busey GIF

Mr Joshua for President!

Biden is old and doddery. With those limitations he beat Trump soundly last time, passed significant legislation, grew the economy and put millions back to work. Much more on those things than Trump ever did.

Trump is old and doddery too. He stumbles over words, mixes up names, shuffles down walkways, and sips from a cup holding it carefully with two hands. Itā€™s all there on the record.

In additionā€¦

Insurrectionist. Twice impeached. Owned by Putin. Rapist. Constant legal trouble. Lies lies lies incessantly. Crooked his whole life, uses the Presidency to line his pockets, protect himself, and pursue his perceived enemies. He has no vision for the country and is an extremely dangerous man, inasmuch as a functioning government will be hollowed out by him.

He does not care about the country, at all. His big talking point is the border, and he just prevented a useful bipartisan bill from going through so he can continue to have a stick to beat Biden with.

Biden has the office and usually that comes with an advantage. Hopefully he presses that advantage to beat Trump and then Iā€™d like to see someone else emerge to replace Biden.

1 Like