US Election 2024

Momala is going to win this. And I bet I get vetted soon.

2 Likes

Favorability rating are not the same as polls on voting intention, and this is being done during a sugar high of excitement, and it’s just one poll, but the first Yougov poll done since Biden dropped out shows Harris is now ahead of Trump in net favourability (ignore the line look for the blue vs red dot for July)

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s all about you :wink:

2 Likes

But what has been achieved actually? Genuine question and I do agree that is the more sustainable solution. And while you cannot reverse many things in 4 years, has there been milestones achieved in the 4 years based on that policy? But also I think both are not mutually exclusive, you can proactively shut down the border to prevent illegal crossings while working on that solution.

If there had been notable progress on that, definitely it should give Harris another 4 years to try to see it through further.

Assuming “shutting down the border” means vigorous border enforcement, this is exactly what they did. “Open borders” is a complete lie and needs to be entirely rejected as a real thing to understand any of the issues in play.

As for what the root cause work achieved…yeah nothing measurable because it is a multi decade process.

4 Likes

not really…

why dont they just build a wall? why has no one suggested that?

you could even get the mexicans to pay for it…

3 Likes

The be fair, I don’t think any administration has effectively solved the problem of illegal crossings regardless of party. And I don’t think it’s realistic to aim at zero illegal crossings considering how big a border US has. And shutting down to me is not just about preventing them from coming in but also what the US do after they enter, get caught or surrender themselves. If the authorities allow every illegal crossing to stay as long they make it through, then the message is clear, take the risk and cross the border, you make it, you stay. Are there numbers on how many illegal crossers were caught or surrendered, processed and sent back? If a message was sent that illegal crossers who get to stay are exceptions rather than norms, some of these people might think twice.

Saw this the other day.

It is fucking brilliant. The reactions as they realise…

1 Like

no administration is doin anything remotely close to that.

As for are there numbers…statistics are peppered all throughout this thread, mostly in repose to people who insist that open border border policies are bad, showing this administration has been incredibly serious about enforcing border security and sending people back home who shouldn’t be here.

1 Like

I would take it in good faith that indeed the policies are working because you would definitely know better than me in terms of the reality or numbers and I don’t want to trivialize this with me just googling and throwing up some numbers or articles which might be biased. But for the sake of discussion, like this article earlier this year from Bloomberg that discusses the illegal crossings. On paper it seems alot but the argument is that it is actually a stable number which hovers around 2mil (caught or surrender I supposed). Now, my question, is that an acceptable number? If yes, what are US doing to process and integrate them? If no, then what are they doing to lower the numbers in the short term?

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2024-03-20/illegal-us-border-crossings-aren-t-really-breaking-records

1 Like

The irony of someone keeping his username as luissuarez when Suarez’s views towards blacks are well known.

1 Like

https://x.com/ShitzN_Giggles/status/1816124006807863691

5 Likes
2 Likes

Did I miss something? Isn’t Suarez mixed-ethnicity to begin with?

1 Like

Starting to think it’s just peoples’ general attitudes towards POC in South America considering how often this sort of thing keeps happening with South American footballers.

1 Like

Only because of their density :wink:

1 Like

It’s more pronounced in Uruguay and Argentina.

The bigger irony is a Black guy voting for a White Supremacist.

4 Likes

That was the brilliance of the whole stitch-up. Casual Uruguayan reference to race was never racial abuse, just extremely incompatible with British norms around language and race. Absolutely not the same thing as what the Argentina team was doing. Suarez is indeed mixed-race, and Uruguay field black players on their national team - Andrade won a cap 55 years before Viv Anderson did.

But can we please eschew from deciding that because people have a certain skin colour, they should think a certain way about any given set of issues? It doesn’t generally work out well.

8 Likes

No, it really isn’t in Uruguay. Chile, maybe. Argentina, absolutely.

2 Likes