US Election 2024

Do you mean Trump or Musk?

Lead balloon :arrow_down:

2 Likes

In that case, I was responding to a post about Musk, but it’s both of course as they are now allies, and many others as well. But right now, Musk holds more power than Trump.

https://x.com/KamalaHQ/status/1823172183612445076
https://x.com/KamalaHQ/status/1823176461450117326
https://x.com/KamalaHQ/status/1823175706290831478

2 Likes

What’s the ulterior motive for delegating education funding to the state level? I mean, we in Australia have education controlled at the state level which seems to work fine, but since we are talking about the USA and Republicans with their sinister scheming, I can only assume they want to shape education in particular states and create further division?

But is moving that power to state level, on its own, a bad thing?

Depends on the state. And, were the GOP to win the election, don’t think for a second that they wouldn’t attempt to install federal mandates that all states would be forced to follow.

It is a well documented fascist means of controlling your populace by keeping them less educated, and ill-informed. Keep the working class dumb and wanting, so they can be more easily controlled by the corporate elite. Right out of the Project 2025 playbook. Usually this doesn’t end well, as the much more populated working class often uprises against the oppression. My fear for this country I live in should this iteration of the GOP gain power. I’d rather leave a more introspective and harmonious culture for my offspring.

6 Likes

The connection between Federal power in education and civil rights in the US cannot be overstated. The current bĂȘte noire for the GOP is the Common Core curriculum, but the MAGA antipathy runs much deeper. Federal power in education means that any educational institution that accesses Federal money must adhere to civil rights standards (which in practical terms means all of them when you look at all programs). That gave the US women’s sport through Title IX. Federal education powers were central to the implementation of racial desegregation following Brown v. Board of Education. The list goes on and on.

6 Likes

Almost all education decisions are taken at the state level already. The DoE was instituted relatively recently (Carter) to address inequalities in access and standards (especially in the south). Schools were forcibly desegregated in the 60s, but the way states ran their school systems means without a Federal DoE overseeing the application of civil rights to public education there was effective segregation through other means and massive inequalities.

Understanding that probably makes clear what the GOP is really trying to do with its education policy. They position it as supporting parental rights, but it’s really about removing the yoke of the Feds to allow them redistribute local education funds towards the favoured demographics. It’s a policy focused on allowing the white school to get a new swimming pool while the black school a mile away cannot get the hole in its roof fixed.

6 Likes

Trump was a sluring mess in that conversation last night. When a Huffpost reporter asked the Trump team for comment, this was the response he received

Its amazing that so much has been written about the new found professionalism of Trump and his people this campaign

3 Likes

School vouchers were the GOP’s solution to having public schools where, OMG, my little white kids may have to spend their days with little black kids. This is how that is working out.

https://x.com/RobSandIA/status/1815756315827781702

2 Likes

My friends get $14,000 a year in vouchers to send their two kids to catholic primary school they were both already attending when the policy was introduced. I dont blame them for taking it but it’s a disgraceful policy

2 Likes

Some wit said he sounded like Sylvester the Cat. :rofl:

3 Likes

Thufferin’ thuccotash! I tawt I taw a tweety bird!

3 Likes

Haven’t listened to the whole Trump/Musk interview (yet?)
Did see a teaser trailer prior though that was one of the most over top, pompous trailers I’ve ever seen, seemed like a parody. Apparently this was a conversation between intellectual giants that will shape the future for generations or something.

5 Likes

Weird lunatics

Mamala needs to make that an ad and beat it into America’s brain

1 Like

Trump again forgetting that he has actually been president

https://x.com/igorbobic/status/1823184182752813106

Every budget proposal from his administration included cuts to the trains.

6 Likes

He doesn’t connect his thoughts, so doesn’t link these two:

a) Bullet trains make sense in high density urban corridors such as the US Northeast and California

b) Voters there more or less despise Trump and in the cities are overwhelmingly Democratic.

He cancelled the California funding because he hates California cities.

4 Likes

While talking to a man who invented a scam hyperloop to draw attention away from funding for expansion of other public transportation projects that might depress the electric car market.

5 Likes

This is probably the right decision, but is anyone in any doubt that the lessons they are implying they’ve learned from the 2016 fuck ups would be as well applied if this was Harris’ email? More to the point, what this really needs is the outlets to come out with a big mea culpa for their acknowledgment of how they mishandled the situation in 2016 is now influencing their decision not to publish now.

4 Likes