US Election 2024

A more potent tax on corporations is a long time coming. Trump gave breaks to the wealthy and corporations, while running up a massive budget deficit. Kamala is proposing to shrink that deficit, by taxing the people who have been getting rich(er) since Covid.

During Covid when supply went down, and prices rose, companies did so to offset losses, but when supply ramped back up, many companies kept prices the same, or even hiked them, because demand was great. Many have kept prices high, because the US economy rebounded as well as we could have hoped, and executives and investors have profited hugely.

A stricter tax on the highest earners and corporations is actually a policy preferred by a majority of the population. It helps to shrink the massive budget deficit, while providing enough money to continue, and grow, programs and infrastructure.

2 Likes

The fact checking by the big outlets of the first night of the convention has been absolutely deranged. They have got so insistent on finding flaws with the accurate characterizations made in Dem speeches they have even taken issue with them using a video of Trump using his own words, arguing that at other times has said other wordsā€¦as if that is the Demā€™s problem.

4 Likes

Arne should adopt this policy.

2 Likes

I wonder if thereā€™s any way to complain to the newspaper. Iā€™m not sure why I have a subscription for them to print this drivel.

3 Likes

What newspaper is it? Itā€™s absolutely desperate journalism.

NYT and WaPo have both totally showed their arses over it, but that is a continuation of their attitude to the Biden-Harris admin and the new Harris ticket.

1 Like

I didnt realize thisā€¦the next congress (house) will be responsible for certifying the results of the presidential election, not the current (republican led) house

https://x.com/TrumpsTaxes/status/1825187808719606128

Of course they can only certify votes that the states themselves certify so only the last link in a chain in which there are multiple vulnerabilities, but itā€™s a good thing to be shooting for nonetheless

5 Likes

It goes back to how Presidents were originally selected. States have their elections in late Fall, then head to Washington in January. There, they convene Congress to choose the President. That changed with the introduction of the idea of electors, but initially they were often the Senators and House members anyway. The pledged electors evolved from that.

3 Likes

Fuck sake :joy:

https://x.com/PolitiFact/status/1825753489273729512

Trump has a record of trying to cut medicare despite ardent promises to protect it, as a very popular populist program, during his campaign. Every budget proposal his admin published included proposed cuts. Every one. Yet these people say we cannot comment on his record, only what the lyingest liar in liartown says now despite having said it before and shown that it was a lie.

EDIT: Note, he also doesnt know the difference between medicare and medicaid.

7 Likes

This cannot be allowed

4 Likes

Yeah, that company canā€™t be happy. Pretty sure the 47 is for 1947.

2 Likes

What is the relevance of 1947?

My daughter bought a hat for me at the Liverpool store when she was in England. it is the 47 brand and has an American flag on it, with the Liver Bird prominent on the front. Not sure Iā€™m a fan of their brandingā€¦ feels a bit more like the sort of stuff a gun-owning type might wear, I dunno?

Anyhow, of course I thanked my daughter for the hat and for thinking of her dad!

2 Likes

'47 (brand) - Wikipedia.

Itā€™s all fairly harmless. When the father or grandfather started selling stuff in Boston outside Fenway.

2 Likes

Oh, I get you both. Itā€™s a company called 47 that sells hats

What an awful fucked up coincidence :joy:

3 Likes

@Sithbare gained independence from @cynicaloldgit

4 Likes

https://x.com/WatcherGuru/status/1825969543459778766

What a disaster.

2 Likes

Hulk Hogan is a piece of shitā€¦who knew?:eyes:

5 Likes

Hope Momala keeps ignoring them. Let them racist themselves out of the race.

4 Likes