US Election 2024

Is it too late? Biden ship has sunk with his support for genocide and, to a lesser degree, that performance.

Surely they couldn’t do any worse by replacing him?

1 Like

Who will be the replacement?

Also, the Democrats would be scared to give Trump/the Republicans the fodder to attack.

They’ve got fodder right now.
Trump is deeply unpopular and anyone half decent would have a chance.

3 Likes

I’m baffled how it’s come down to this. I mean there has been a clear trajectory for years, but to end up with two old men, both in physical and mental decline, and one of them an illustration of the absolute worst of humanity, wrapped in an orange wetsuit, is a systemic failure of colossal proportions. What a terrifying clusterfuck the US is these days :slightly_frowning_face:

6 Likes

I thought the debates are between the presidential candidates. Neither has officially been endorsed by their respective parties yet, right?

Republicans won’t change shit. They’re fully committed to insanity.
I guess Democrats are too scared of the open convention scenario. And Biden probably doesn’t want to let go anyway.

1 Like

In the machine gun of lies I missed one from Trump - did I hear him we’ve “never been closer to nuclear war”?

Is he aware if history at all?

3 Likes

He’s probably not even aware which shoe goes on which foot, so I doubt it.

3 Likes

I think he would have to be the one to decide that at this point. We are only 7 weeks away from a convention now, delegates are set. There isn’t a procedure I am aware of by which the convention can do anything but cast the delegated votes, except where the candidate(s) to whom they have been pledged release them.

2 Likes

Exactly, he’d have to fall on his sword. It would be deeply disruptive, but at least there’d be a chance. Right now they’re sleepwalking into catastrophe.

2 Likes

It would be disruptive, but I am not sure it would be harmful. The open convention has a very different energy from the stage-managed television productions that the US delegate process has become.

Yep. He has to decide. And he seems vain enough to not step down. The other issue is whether or not other candidates would even want to take on the risk of running at such short notice.

Were the field to open up, I think that risk becomes miniscule for most. A six week campaign to a contested convention would be the cheapest campaign in a lifetime, and in the end the biggest risk a failed candidate faces these days is the inability to attract future donors to fund the next campaign.

It does become a real test for the DNC - some people here have been lamenting that the DNC has not done what they are not supposed to, anoint a candidate. But what they are supposed to do is be prepared to fight a general election.

2 Likes

There’s only two people who could convince Biden to quit the game ; himself and his wife. And both (atm) are all in on him contesting the election. I suppose it’s a bit too early now but we’ll have to wait and see , if the clamour were to reach fever pitch , whether either of them could be dissuaded.

2 Likes

He’s even lost the MSNBC crowd. That’s got to be close to fever pitch.

2 Likes

As Armie says, it’s very low risk you would have a very low burden of expectation and a relatively high chance of success.

1 Like

I don’t think Biden’s ego will allow him to withdraw.

1 Like

But isn’t the first part of that having a viable candidate?

His ego may not want a crushing GE defeat.

2 Likes

Who’s the democrat establishment going to foist at this time ? Hillary ? Trump will steamroll through her with much more ease.