Virgil VAN DIJK: 2020/21

He did a job however it wasn’t in a fashion of a CB. Wijnaldum when asked to fill in there did a better impression of what I expect from a CB.
I never said he wasn’t capable just that he isn’t in a position to organise that defense.
Sure he can do a job however from the evidence I’ve seen it’s going to confuse the hell out of poor Gomez.

Aww crap. I thought we managed to avoid the ‘toldyasoers’ flooding this thread, with their unlimited transfer and wage budgets and all the impracticalities of suggesting 7 world class players will happily sit on the bench.

If Klopp was ever interested in signing another CB, Thiago would not have been on the cards. Its really that simple. Klopp is very particular about choosing players who can deputise in other positions. He likes trim squads. Fab does that. He obviously showed Klopp enough last season to prove that he could do it.

I am not worried with the idea of Fab, Gomez and Matip as our three remaining CB’s. The only slight worry is that Matip is made of glass.

3 Likes

Total PL minutes played at CB since the season VVD arrived:

Fab 90
Gomez 2,706
Lovren 3,885
Matip 4,227

Klopp is a good judge here. I’ll wait for evidence before I make that call.

1 Like

He’s been one of our best CBs whenever he’s played. I don’t know what you are on about or how you rate a CB, Wijnaldum did his best but is strictly emergency Only! And how do we know Fabinho can’t organise a defence? Nice to judge him on something he’s never actually had to try and do let alone been bad at yet.

2 Likes

I like utility players too. Using Fab as occasional cover is a good plan, long-term bad. Why? We lose a key midfielder. Bad also because as others called out we’ve lost our primary captain at the back. Albeit one that had lost form recently and back end of last year. Of course this is applying 20-20 hindsight, so I get that too.

Lovren was brought in for his communication and tactical nous but we as a club screwed up. It was Fonte who was that role at Southampton not Lovren. Lovren much like Gomez needs a strong partner controlling things.

If Fab can suddenly start commanding at the back we’ll be okay. But we’ve also got a nervous keeper who needs some level of baby sitting plus Matip who is injured apparently. It doesn’t bode well for us.

Positives:
Alisson is getting close to being back
Could a young CB make a trial by fire introduction? I’d love another TAA style emergence from our youth. We’d have to suffer errors, but it might work.

2 Likes

Yeah I know but the two months thing is a joke. :wink:

The guy’s airhead on a platter. Paper plate would be enough.

1 Like

Richarlison’s thoughts were clear- rather than airheaded. Something like it being the 90th minute leaves the equation being strongly weighted in favour of taking Thiago out for five games plus versus the jeopardy of Everton not hanging on for 4 minutes with ten men in one game

1 Like

He really hasn’t been ‘one of our best CB’s whenever he has played’ that’s nonsense. He’s done a job.
However my point is he is very unorthodox. This flumox the young CB when he came on and will probably do the same with Gomez. Might make a good partnership with Matip who goes very deep but I wouldn’t bet on it.
Wijnaldum played CB in a pretty orthodox manner and in comparison to Fabinho a very orthodox manner. That is what I am getting at. An unorthodox CB is unlikely able to organise the back line.
Then I’m sure you didn’t even notice did you?

Maybe it’s Klopp who either didn’t notice or doesn’t appreciate orthodoxy as much as you! Wijnaldum could have played CB a lot. He hasn’t. Fabinho is well in front in the pecking order. Maybe you just aren’t as good as you think you are at rating players?

Basically VD is going to be hard to replace because he’s a good player.

Whilst I agree one of joe or Joel will need to step up regarding their role as the organiser I honestly think it’s often a point over emphasised by the fan base when they say ‘player x can’t do this’ , sometimes it’s just the role he’s been asked to play.

If joe or Joel can’t adapt to direct a line in VVD absence then yes, we are in trouble.

It’s kinda like when Stevie G was accused of not having enough discipline to play deep because he statistically gave up theball a lot. Or when people point to mo salahs stats on unsuccessful dribbles… the reason might not be because the player CANT stay disciplined, it might be because he’s been asked not to.

The reason Joe Gomez isn’t organising the defence might not be because he CANT.

Let’s hope I’m right…

2 Likes

I think he walks into most teams as a CDM or centre forward. And that’s where he might have to play when our two overshadowed lads start to grow into very tall trees.

1 Like

I don’t think we have a choice but to go into the transfer market in January. With Matip having fitness issues again, we’re left with one CB. We could have Hendo and Fab play back there, but I think that weakens our midfield.

I think we need to make at least one quality CB signing.

1 Like

just frame by frame , . steps on the inside goodison video on youtube. Pickford never looked at the ball in flight at all. He has just looking straight at VVD to do him. He was jumping with both feet to do him.

The more Fabinho plays at centre half the more he’ll show that he’s better than Lovren, who, to be frank, was shit, bless him. Two good games, one car crash. Repeat and rinse.

1 Like

I think Richarlison loses his head because Thiago is running midfield. I think Pickford’s is a pre-meditated attack, because he’s scared of Van Dijk’s threat on set pieces. I doubt he’s planning to do him to the extent he does, but he is definitely trying to hobble him. Pickford is a thick cunt with form for this.

1 Like

I’m not rating, as you can read from my posts. I leave the rating bullshit to the likes of you and laugh!

Nowhere in that post did I say CAN’T! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Let’s hope so. My monies still on the midfield upping it. :smiley:

Shkodran Mustafi, Bernard Diomede, Stephane Guvarc’h and Kleberson have won the World Cup.
Djimi Traore, Oleguer and Anderson have won the Champions League.
Roque Junior has won both.

Team honours are a really bad way of judging a player’s individual ability.

6 Likes