Virgil VAN DIJK: 2020/21

Didnt know where else to put this so please move if necessary.

Is anybody else getting seriously fucked off with football?

I think this behind closed doors, project big picture, PPV TV, VAR, Armpit offside, VAR missing Pickfords assault, FA not retrospectively banning Pickford (coz he is an England player no doubt).

I’m just fed up of it.

What the fuck has happened to the game?

3 Likes

Ah seriously I’ve Just seen Matips had a scan and is a doubt for Ajax.

Fuck off

Emmanuel Petit and I have had enough of VAR offside decissions, FFS why can they not get it correct?

I feel the same to be honest. Too many things making it more and more uninteresting right now.

You’re right, I think a lot of people are feeling the same way. The enjoyment for fans is being eroded by VAR and corrupt, incompetent officials. I mean, look at this forum, we’re nearly 72hrs after the Everton game and people are still very angry. Sport shouldn’t make you feel this way. Throw Sky Sports and BT into the mix and anger rises again. I won’t be watching the Sheffield Utd game on Saturday night, because the bloodsuckers at Sky want another £14.95 off me and I know at some point during the match, we will be fucked over by incompetent refereeing or the imbecile on VAR.

6 Likes

being whitewashed by a load of cronies upstairs that don’t know what they’re doing would be my guess.

I can live with Pickford not getting any retrospective action. What I’m still fuming about is the utter denial that they completely fucked up the decisions. They were gross errors that highlight exactly what is wrong with VAR. It’s not the technology, it’s the fucking utterly useless process that referee’s and officials work to in football.

It’s an utter joke that you have 5 officials in a PL game (more if you count the techies) and they dont communicate with each other to make sure the correct decisions are made that every aspect is covered.

8 Likes

Both are premeditated. Richarlison does it because it worked when Pickford did it. If Richarlison doesn’t get away with it, it’s only 5 minutes of injury time the 10 men have to hang on for.

4 Likes

Wonder what must be going through Gini’s mind at this precise moment…
Being in limbo land with his contract extension an all… Hope he can remain focused and committed in the tackle…

1 Like

Interesting write up by Dr Rajpal Brar (https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/10/explaining-virgil-van-dijks-acl-knee-injury-return-timeline-career-implications/)

Summary:
Van Dijk will undergo surgery within the week – the wait is likely to allow for knee swelling to dissipate. The surgery will entail reconstructing the ruptured ACL ligament – typically with a graft from the patient’s own hamstring or patellar tendon.

Depending on what the surgeon finds during the procedure, Van Dijk may face a longer return spell. For example, Aston Villa’s Wesley suffered a similar mechanism of injury, was found to have three damaged ligaments along with medical meniscus damage and has now been out for roughly 10 months. Multi-ligament injuries tend to be of higher complexity which adds to the rehab demands. However, that also depends on the ligament damaged. For example, if the other ligament damaged is the medial collateral ligament (MCL) – quite common in high impact ACL ruptures – then it’s not that big of a deal because the MCL heals quite well (often without surgery even if fully ruptured) because it has an excellent blood supply.

Can Van Dijk return to his pre-injury levels of play?
The research shows that most footballers do return to their pre-injury levels of performance BUT it often takes 18-24 months to return to pre-injury strength and conditioning and also get over the mental challenge of regaining confidence in movement, the knee, and the fear of reinjury (known as kinesiophobia). The latter has recently become a very hot topic in the physio world and a very necessary one that’s long overdue.

1 Like

I think his head’s in Barcelona but they can’t afford him, they’re skint.

Yeah you probably right…
Barcelona with Koeman in charge though are never going to be the Barcelona we all associate that name with… they may even become Everton MK2

1 Like

You literally described why you don’t rate Fabinho as a CB because he isn’t orthodox but rate Wijnaldum as he is orthodox as a CB… apparently. You do like to try and make out others lack intelligence for doing the exact same thing as you but failing to agree with you. On the subject of who is rated as the better CB Wijnaldum or Fabinho I’m happy I have Klopp making the same decisions as I would so refuse to agree with your opinion.

On the one hand, before the game I was thinking that Virgil — who is still the best defender in the world even if he admittedly wasn’t in the best form — would provide us with the marginal advantage on defense in a season where defending just seems not to be a thing.

On the other hand, while him being out is absolute shite, I do think that Thiago avoiding major injury and our front three stay healthy (God willing) could still enable us to outscore most other teams. Additionally, I think this will force us to be a little more compact — a high line is doable with Gomez’s pace, but it really needs Virgil’s leadership and vision to work — so perhaps we will become a bit more resolute at the back with a change of shape.

Excuse the analogies, lol, just looking for half-full glasses in a time where it seems that tons of empty glasses are being shattered.

2 Likes

That’s perverse!
Do you understand English?

No but I’m fluent in Scouse.

1 Like

He’ll still be an important influence in the dressing room,probably downplaying how big a miss he’ll be and could inspire our CB’s a great deal,hope so anyway but get back quickly big man.

7 Likes

Coote stood down from match officiating/VAR next weekend; will be 4th official. Doesn’t bring Virgil back but it’s better than nothing. Still, speaks to the state of refereeing in England that this is even a thing.

3 Likes

Fair enough, let my emotions get the best of me. Won’t happen again

3 Likes

The thing that fucks me off is that they circle the wagons, refuse to comment, speak only in statements and official lines, and then demote anyway.

Would it hurt for Coote, Oliver or the association just to say sorry we fucked up? They know it. We all know it. By refusing to even acknowledge they made mistakes they come across as the worst kind of little authority junkies.

12 Likes