Virgil VAN DIJK: 2020/21

I really hope that he’ll be out until June, so that the Netherlands can’t demolish him again during the Euros. A long and fruitful pre-season should help him to get back to his best level.

Don’t rush him back for nothing, that would be nothing but disastrous. Virg, be reasonable and think long-term, please.

(Same for Gomez, I hope that he’ll be reasonable too.)

5 Likes

Unlikely to return this season according to Klopp.

3 Likes

I’m not bothered about VVD not returning this season. I’m worried about VVD playing in Euro.

7 Likes

Klopp on Van Dijk: "I think we have space for Virgil on the CL list. If we have space for it, then Virgil will be on the list.

“No doctor told me there’s a chance for Virgil to play again this season. I don’t want to say it’s impossible but it’s not likely.”

1 Like

That might be so Jurgen…
but put him on the list so he can join in the celebrations after the CL final.!

1 Like

I’m sure we can get him a ticket, likelihood the earliest he would be back for is the final and your unlikely to play him for that.

Just hope he gets refreshed and ready to restart in August next season and none of this Euros maybe it’s Klopp trying to stop that kind of thing.

3 Likes

I also hope this was a message from Klopp to Netherlands staff - don’t try to rush him back. I’ve always had respect for the Dutch and the way they develop their players, the way they “understood” football. I hope they show that understanding with Van Dijk now as well. It’s not like he got injured a month or so prior to Euros, he’ll have missed the whole season by the time Euros kick in. I hope they won’t risk him, he’ll have plenty of time to make up for it if his recovery goes well.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t always look at it like Liverpool’s staff vs Holland’s staff. I think the goal for both is to do a good job with him. Ultimately, it’s up to the doctors and Virgil. I completely understand if he’s as or even more motivated to play in a big tournament for his country than win the PL or CL. Look at the way his career went for a long time. I think if everything goes to plan, he can both return safely and go with Holland. Would there be certain risk? Maybe, more a lack of training preparation. Acceptable? Probably, yeah. But I certainly don’t expect him to put Liverpool ahead of Holland for those few months. He’s got all the right in the world to do what he wants as long as the doctors agree. So for me, not a time to panic yet. He’s got a motivation to get himself fit by May or June, I doubt our staff are working differently than that.

1 Like

I’m hoping the Euros are cancelled. With the increasing numbers of potentially vaccine / antibody resistant variants, it just isn’t worth the risk.

4 Likes

Not what most posters want to hear but I believe Klopp secretly knows that Virgil will play for us again this season.

Very likely that VvD asked Klopp to include him in the CL squad if possible.

1 Like

To be honest, I hope all the international football is suspended indefinitely! I’m not sure if it used to make more sense twenty years ago because I was a kid or because football wasn’t as defensive or because players seem to enjoy internationals more than today. This is for another discussion, of course, but Liverpool could have plenty of problems if Van Dijk and Gomez don’t fully recover in time for the next preseason and same would go for Matip as well (hopefully no more injuries but you can never know with Liverpool).

4 Likes

I agree with you completely and today I read in a Dutch newspaper that in March our Brazilian players have to go to Brazil and afterwards they have to go in quarantine for 10 days, missing 2 PL matches and 1 CL match, this can’t be true, is it?

3 Likes

Nah. We had rumours circulating of an April return, we get our centre backs in, and he’s announced as our for the season.

In some ways I hope he doesn’t come back. Get right big man.

1 Like

Yep. No Fabinho and possibly no Alisson. Another reason to bring in CB options.

1 Like

Exactly same as Matip. Knew all three were almost 100% guaranteed out all season but kept putting hopeful looking fitness updates and photos out there before/during negotiations and as soon as done? Bam confirm VvD and Matip out for season. Gomez probably already was understood to be.

1 Like

Can we just say no to the call-up, thought the FIFA allows that when you have to travel into a COVID invected area under those circumstances.

2 Likes

Even if they don’t go into Brazil they would play in Colombia right? Mixing with the other Brazil players and therefore having to do the quarantine?

1 Like

I mean, not going at all because of having to go in self-isolation.

Wait and see I guess.

1 Like

Nothing has been confirmed yet on that

1 Like