Virgil VAN DIJK: 2023/24

Hughes :wink:

2 Likes

Isnā€™t there a third place playoff game? I bet Van Dijk plays it.

No there isnā€™t.

2 Likes

Because I was curious, I looked, and the last time one was played was 1980. Czechoslovakia beat Italy on penalties.

The Dutch may have a reputation of being blunt, but this isnā€™t it. This is acting like cunts.

Van Dijk is the best player theyā€™ve produced in a decade, the best defender in the world for a number of years and still may be, but at 33 and having played 60+ games, he couldnā€™t lead his country to a final that had no business reaching in the first place, talent-wise. Apparently, thatā€™s enough for pundits to go off rails and talk disparagingly. Not the first time itā€™s happened either.

Van Dijk should fuck them off, let them see how far they go with De Ligt in his place. Ingrate pricks, theyā€™d be out of a job if they didnā€™t have someone like him to talk about.

5 Likes

Reading Lijndersā€™ book, itā€™s actually Virgil himself (and he certainly isnā€™t among the minority at that level) who often pushes to play in certain games (League Cup, par example) where he could be rested or more minutes than planned in pre-season friendlies. Utimately the decision is with the management of course.

1 Like

Nearly 5000 mins for club and country in 59 games. This guy needs a good rest.

2 Likes

https://x.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/1814308799294873767

1 Like

I think the big injury did take something off him somehow. But yet even then, he is world class still. If he didnā€™t have that injury, that ceiling might have been blown through the roof and there will be no doubt he would have been lauded as the best CB ever. But even now, he is one of the best at 33. Media just love criticising Liverpool players