Wataru ENDO: 2023/24

To some it feels like the ENDOf the world :0)

Wataru talking about?

1 Like
1 Like

That’s a stat that doesn’t mean much when we’ve only lost 1 game all season. You basically just take the players who didnt start against Spurs…

Trent - 16 starts
Darwin - 11 starts
Konate, Jota and Tsimi - 8 starts each

Gravenberch and End - 7 each

Quansah - 3
Elliott - 2

2 Likes

The goal stat is probably more telling.

Excellent again today, that crunching tackle that set up our 1st goal was the best.

The other players are also now trusting him and I can only recollect him giving the ball away once.

Improves every game

7 Likes

6 Likes

That’s actually pretty interesting. Suggests that at least numerically, Endo is close to Mac in the productivity stats than would be assumed if you thought he was just a ball winner, and Mac is much closer to Endo in the defensive stuff than you’d imagine based on the conversation about him not being a proper 6

3 Likes

The telling difference in the stats is the Passes forward under pressure - Macca can get the ball up the field more often, as we saw with the build up to Jota going through and winning the penno against Newcastle, whereas Endo plays more passes sideways/back, which also probably explains his slightly higher passing accuracy %.

Would expect both Endo’s and Macca’s possession lost stats to fall across the season as they both get more settled in their roles.

2 Likes

8 Likes

What’s a little strange is Mac actually has a higher pass % than Endo in the league, their passes forward/back are actually not too dissimilar at all.

88.28 compared to Endo’s 86.51

Endo passes - 504 (141 forward and 91 back) from 700mins
Mac passes - 836 (239 forward and 153 back) from 1109 mins

What the calculator annoyingly doesn’t specify however is where the other passes end up as I don’t think they measure sideways, for them it’s either forward or back regardless of margins.

1 Like

I guess the PL is a quicker, so less time and more likely to misplace passes - that’s something Macca is used to having played at Brighton for a couple of seasons too - more adapted to the pace of the game.

2 Likes

https://x.com/wataru0209/status/1742936569907187929?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1742939192156701157

5 Likes

Turning into a cult favourite

2 Likes

This isn’t an ‘I told you so’ post, but this is the reason why I was suggesting back in August/September that taking every opportunity to have a pop at Endo and suggesting he wasn’t good enough for us, was probably not productive.

I’m not disillusioned to think that a few good games suddenly makes him a Mascherano or Souness, but it was always worthwhile having some patience to see what he had to offer.

9 Likes

Without looking at the game-by-game stats and speculating just based on influence… but I would assume Endo’s per game statistics are much higher recently and much lower at the beginning.

So he could currently be operating at a much level than is indicated by the averages thus making the comparison with such limited games a moot point.

Certainly I would prefer to see Endo lining up alongside Mac rather than one or the other.

4 Likes

Why Wataru Endo wears a gumshield during matches - an "indispensable tool" - Liverpool FC - This Is Anfield?

Wataru Endo responds to Klopp’s sacarstic comments

“Of course the coach meant that as a joke but I do feel very honored that he feels I need to be back at Liverpool. I’m here now, I’m the captain of the team and all I’m thinking about is bringing the trophy back to Liverpool.”

Can’t remember the last time someone said ‘bringing the trophy to Liverpool’.

4 Likes

What sarcastic comments?