Welcome to the Metaverse nahh the TANverse

14% are in favour of using it again (at time of posting).

Thanks for trying something new, but can we bury the chat and the Leicester result into the deepest darkest pit of the internet.

2 Likes

Understood, and I said weā€™d take take that on board.

The advantages as far as I can see are that it provides an experience that a bit more tailored towards immediacy, fast replies and shorter comments.

I think a lot of it depends on what people want in match. If itā€™s the ability to post quick reactions to whatā€™s happening then I think the chats better. If people want to post longer thoughts then it definitely doesnā€™t work for that.

There is also a benefit that, how can I put this, sometimes the in game comments down show people in their best light :joy: and we think maybe it isnā€™t best to have the in match comment as a permanent part of the main forum. It might be better if everyone chimps were tucked away somewhere.

Iā€™ve no idea whether it handles high load better. To be honest, itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve seen those messages.

You can do that in the normal forum threads if someone else has reacted first.

There are a few benefits, in no particular order.

Community - I figured chat might be a good connect. Find out more about others, bring a more social side to the community.

Communication . Chat is a different means for communication. I know some use WhatsApp between different TAN members. This fills a gap without people needing to go elsewhere.

Browsing - The ability to have a live chat in the box, whilst also being able to browse threads

Privacy - Using chat allows an element of privacy within the community. That has its advantages from people posting links :wink: to people feeling more free to express themselves. Things are not going to get picked up by a google search.

Quality vs Quantity - lots of great well considered posts get lost in the forum, with people airing frustrations/ calling the ref shit in match thread. We hoped to have high quality stuff that people want to read on forum, and the more community talking/emotion stuff in chat.

Performance/cost - last year the forum struggled a little when we got really busy. This is not a problem now as server been upgraded. However I hope we can grow the community and want to avoid bottlenecks.

New users - we are all forum first type people. Itā€™s why we are on TAN. Chat might be attractive to new users who mainly chat but also occasionally contribute to forum.

Given potential benefits I wonā€™t drop it straight away :blush: need to explore a bit more. But how we use it might be very different, may change over time, might be a combination of two.

6 Likes

As Iā€™ve said before, the match threads are essentially the bar from Mos Eisley

1 Like

That one makes sense.

2 Likes

I hadnā€™t read all the pre-match stuff, so when @Mascot locked down the pre-match thread, I thought he was trying to make us all pay closer attention to the match, for once. This I applauded until I realized what was happening. Then I went off to see what it was all about. Actually, it was just different, harder to learn how to make reactions but really no big deal in the end. I thought it was fine and made me feel just as guilty for not paying closer attention to the match.

:joy:

1 Like

Thanks ! That cracked me up into a wide grin !

Yes, title of this thread should have been like Ronseal quick drying woodstain and in The Albert.

@ISMF1, @Mascot ,

I think the chatroom is a great idea though implementation did not turn out as intended. I especially like the feature that the messages would be deleted after a certain time. This is an assurance that whatever I might have said in a heat of the moment would not come back to bite me.

To other fellow posters, perhaps another way to visualise this chatbox feature is akin to a busy WhatsApp or Telegram channel. I am unfortunately a member of a couple of such channels. If I am interested, I would post in it. Else, I would have it on mute and scroll down to read at a later time.

Thank you for introducing new features to the forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for adding this new feature. :clap:

How do I remove/leave individual chat channels? For example if I open a channel to chat with you, how do I delete it if I want to?

1 Like

Like all things - people donā€™t always like change. Remember the switch from TIA to TAN - Fucking hell youā€™d think half of you were completely computer illiterate :joy:

Personally, I rarely use the in-match threads as they are too wild and hard to follow - I find myself watching the forum more than the game, kind of negating the point of watching it - whereas I like the ability to drop quick messages and scan the chat.

I would suggest, if the mods want to give it another go - maybe announce now which match itā€™ll be, and then the chat thread would be named after that match? Could also pin a thread at top making it clear? I had seen this thread, the chat bubbles and various mods heads up but clearly some people didnā€™t.

Childish behaviour like deciding to just move away from that chat to the PL thread of the forum, is just disrespectful to the guys that work so hard for this to happen.

I will add, if we were smashing Leicester to pieces yesterday, then the chat would have been buoyant, the mood much better, and it probably would have gone down better than it did - when Liverpool play poorly or lose, some forumites can really be miserable/unbearable and decide itā€™s all over - there were plenty of ā€œthe titles overā€ last night.

Once again, thank you mods! Iā€™m all for another chat go.

5 Likes

Hey, not fair, I donā€™t post that much :crazy_face:

We are!!!..(joking)ā€¦or shall I say ā€˜slow on the uptakeā€™.

I think of weā€™d won thereā€™d have been hurrahs all around with @ISMF1 never having to pay for a beer in his life ever again. But, we played like half-assed donkeys and gifted 3 points to Rodgers of all people. Lots of frustration and unfortunately the chat room became the cat to kick.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a bad idea because match threads are pretty shit to be honest. If a traveler from the past happened to come across an in match thread to read as the first thing upon his arrival in the present he (or she, I suppose) would think Liverpool FC are completely useless and that mankind has regressed to the basest of natures. Iā€™d hazard a guess that such a person would immediately start banging the buttons on their machine so as to get back and reveal stark warnings about the future of the species to his timeline. Seriously though, some of you need to have a word and the emotions running high excuse is a really shit one.

4 Likes

But deep down, we all know the real reason for the defeat was the piss-poor Pre-match thread started by @kopstar :wink:

1 Like

Yes, there is that too. Way too complacent, just like the lads. Canā€™t just turn up to win, mate.

george costanza ok GIF by HULU

Luckily the Jan trf window is coming up and we can actually get some half decent thread starters in.