What's happening?

Just be grateful she doesn’t drop them out of the shopping trolley onto the floor a couple of times on purpose - Nothing worse than opening a packet of Dark Chocolate Digestive biscuits that are all broken into a zillion pieces… Not only do the crumbs spread everywhere… from worktop to down the front of your jumper, but the pieces are impossible to dip into a mug of tea without getting your finger and thumb wet :0)

1 Like

You show an advanced level of understanding of the complexities of digestive care and consumption.
Very impressive!

3 Likes

And a fine understanding of never upsetting the Mrs. :+1::sunglasses:

1 Like

wow! I had 75down/10up (mbps) on an ADSL line in 2001…

I’m on 300/300 for the past year. fibre right to my box. option to go gigabit, just unnecessary. was previously on cable, was 300/50 but high latency signal. lots of stutter with the old overhead coaxial wiring that’s never been replaced on the street.

I have overkill at work. The phone line is now 150Mb and the fibre is 1Gb with a failover router.

You Americans do like to brag.

1 Like

I ran a speed test to see what it is on my iPad here at home. We’ve had fibre for a long time and I’m in the Klopptimist range mentioned above. My kids will never know dial up, boing, boing. Their world is high speed fibre all over the house, streaming crap on every device.

Are you sure? A quick lookup suggests ADSL as a standard never reached those speeds. Even VDSL took until 2006 to reach those speeds.

I was in a bar not too long ago, where the bartender had no idea what the dial up tone was.

Very sure, I was paying $90/mth through Telus at the time, was doing tournament gaming in those days (CounterStrike 1.3, Quake2 and Quake3) and bandwidth was king right next to framerate.

Could say the same about you Dutch folks

It’s a pity that WIMax never worked out as a viable option. In theory, the lower operating costs should have made it workable.

Would be very interested to see how StarLink differs from Wimax.

Not sure how much you are paying for your internet connection @Dane but it might be feasible to shift to Satellite internet till you get fiber access.

Would still need to see the difference in costs.

That’s fascinating, because I don’t think any technology existed back then that would get you that bandwidth.

A thread from 2001 suggests that 1.5Mbps was considered fast back then. I for one remember that DOCSIS cable at 40Mbps was the fastest technology you could get for home broadband, pretty much until FTTH.

I’m fairly certain WiMAX uses terrestrial base stations, rather than a satellite?

1 Like

The recievers would be broadly similar though.

We had 60Mb fibre pre 2005. Moved to a new house with dial-up at best to start with.

Re Starlink, brilliant system but pricy. Have set it up on a campsite in Wales, very good speeds are attainable.

Where’s this?

I’m fascinated with communications technologies and how they’ve evolved over the years. I still remember being excited about 3G cellular networks, but I never thought we’d still be stuck with them being the only option in so many parts of the developed world.

But then again, many parts of the UK still have no better option than VDSL so…

Was Telewest fibre run down the road where we bought our first house in ‘99. We left in 2005 so was certainly connected before then. Latter became Blueyonder. Was installed for TV originally but then they offered broadband.

Here: https://maps.apple.com/?address=Lowton,%20Warrington,%20WA3%201DD,%20England&auid=11656094523028342537&ll=53.474913,-2.551613&lsp=6489&q=WA3%201DD&t=h

Suggests that Telewest, as of 2006, did not have any thing close to being FTTP, nor 60Mbps.

NTL and Telewest work to build broadband Britain | Lightwave suggests that in 2001, Telewest was using cable modems connected somehow to a fibre-optic backend. That does not mean you had fibre back then. This is supported by your claim that it was originally installed for TV, which means it’s more likely to be a cable connection.

Even then however, the theoretical maximum total bandwidth was 40+30Mbps with DOCSIS 2.0, which makes your story plausible. However, I can’t find any evidence of Telewest/Blueyonder offering anything faster than 10Mbps.

I bow to your research but we absolutely had very fast broadband there (much quicker than ADSL) and as I remember 50/60Mb