What's happening?

I can remember as a kid struggling with the dentist to get that mask off before I went under. Can still recall the vile smell of the gas. Horrific. Thank goodness we don’t put kids through that now

base Telus ADSL plan was 25mbps. I paid for the 75mbps package at quite a hefty expense, because other then my gaming clan’s server which was hosted on an ISP in Wenatchee I was the only one of 30 who had that kind of bandwidth to host a private server. the building I lived in was only two years old. newer wiring makes a big difference.

That said, I’m doing to go through some records to see if I still have an old bill from that era with my plan on it. it’s very possible that I’m completely out to lunch here.

This is the distance from Telus main hub at the time

1 Like

I’m very curious, especially because it’s one of the few areas of technology where the changes are so readily apparent. From 56kbps to 1Gbps in some places in less than a decade.

that’s very true. when I met my first wife in 1999, she was attending BCIT and was on 56k dialup for her computer. we moved in together in summer of 2000 and we were on broadband ADSL at the time. Telus was pretty much the only source, Shaw Cablesystems hadn’t moved into ISP yet. It escalated quickly, I remember logged into the WOTC servers in Seattle which really were one of the birthplaces of modern online gaming and you could tell by player ping who was still on dial-up and who had high-speed access.

I was doing construction for a year in 2010, and when we were drilling into a sidewalk to secure hoarding for a jobsite we hit a fibreoptic line that belonged to Sprint and we knocked out quite a good portion of downtown Vancouver for a few hours. It was laid in the wrong location.

No, you didn’t follow the risk assessment and the H&S training……

we drilled where the civic engineer told us to.

@redalways you’re correct. my upgraded line was 25mpbs which is the max for that type of copper line. 7.5mbps was the base. I got the numbers backwards, my apologies.

edit, I’m thinking back to that time… and I remember the tech having to connect the ADSL lines to the outlet in pairs…I think I had paired phone lines in that building

1 Like

Was he wearing a hard hat and high vis jacket?

no, he was in a finished building. not required by WCB regulations. He did have steel-toed boots on though.

Seems as though a comeback might be on the cards - Either way not going without a fight… Ex Lord Mayor of Liverpool no less, seems to be rallying the Caramac army :0)

Nestle fan’s petition to bring back ‘iconic’ chocolate bar hits 29k signatures

Chocolate fans were left devastated when the news about the Nestle bar broke earlier this week. But now one fan is taking action to bring the treat back to our shelves

Chocolate giant Nestle axed the sweet treat after 64 years and fans were left heartbroken.

The beloved Caramac bar is a unique treat due to its lack of cocoa. But it’s been a huge hit in the UK since it was launched back in 1959. Nestle revealed it was time to bid the treat a farewell and people weren’t too happy about it. And one fan is Gary Millar.

The former Lord Mayor and Deputy Lord Mayor of Liverpool decided to start a petition (Petition · Save Caramac · Change.org) showing demand for the chocolate bar. It’s already racked up nearly 29,000 signatures.

Appealing to other fans, Gary wrote: "We cannot let this piece of confectionery history fade away without a fight.

“By signing this petition, you are showing your support for preserving the production of Caramac bars and ensuring future generations can enjoy its unique taste as we have.”

Citing the £1.1billion brought into the UK by the confectioning industry, Gary described his love affair with Caramac goes back to his childhood.

Gary also had some advice to Nestle as he added: "Make it nostalgic, highlight that it also meets the sweet needs of those that either can’t eat chocolate or prefer chocolate alternatives.

“Plus, make sure the warehouses, distributors etc actually stock it so that supermarkets, newsagents and corner shops actually have it in stock – as it’s often been difficult to find!”

1 Like

Yep, as I’ve never heard of it!

My 4th weekend devoted to painting walls of hall, staircase and landing. No mean feat as the last time I did this I was 15 years younger and hired a platform to reach the area above the staircase. This is a 1930s house with high ceilings and a skylight above the staircase.

This time I have used an extra long handled roller and have hung off the balustrade to reach the high bits. However I am on the 3rd colour now.

No 1 was white…

me …Makes all those dark corners much brighter.

Wife…too bright. Don’t like it

No 2 was a lovely creamy colour.

Me. That really was a good choice of yours

Wife… changed my mind. Too bland. It will have to go.

No 3 is Venice Grey :roll_eyes:. Yes there really are 50 shades of grey

Resting before the second coat. Carpet coming on Tuesday so she will have to live with this colour

4 Likes

Massive breakthrough in the Dane household.
Missus stopped eating meat about 4 years ago, in my opinion to the detriment of her health.

Had a family gathering for a funeral last week, and in the evening I went out to the local KFC.
Had to ring her to inform her that this particular branch didn’t do the vegan burger option.
Could have knocked me over with a feather when she said to just get her a chicken burger.
She’s since had another one, and a traditional English (but extremely shit) breakfast from the local Dobbies.

6 Likes

Haggis next?

1 Like

Me “It’s white and staying that way”
Mrs “Too white”
Me “Here’s the brush”

Aye, right

I hate our lounge. It’s 2 different shades of duck egg blue. Mrs went through a rough patch a few years ago and always wanted that colour. We had a chat about it and I painted it in a colour I utterly detest. Made her happy I guess. But if having finished it she’d have said it’s too blue, the air would have been bluer!

my house went from Sherwin SW2835 to SW6200 last summer. what a difference from these last two pics

image 2009

image 2020

I hired out the exterior to a friend. no way I’m painting a house. installed new garage and front doors though, that’s easy stuff.

4 Likes

I like the present lawn. The previous one looks so sterile.

you wouldn’t like it now. chafer beetle invaded my neighborhood and the raccoons and birds have pretty much destroyed the grass, front and back yards.