What's happening?

The regional trains in Germany seem OK but longer distance ones seem to be delayed as a matter of course.

It’s difficult to compare it with he UK. Even on Merseyrail it is hugely variable. You could almost set your watch by the Wirral line, but the City line appears only to exist on paper.

4 Likes

I got a train from Prague to Vienna in the summer and that was quite a pleasant journey.

1 Like

This means nothing to me.

7 Likes

They are when you live just behind a Canadian track for a year. Those bloody horns too……

Paging @Magnus

1 Like

Absolutely. There are currently no llamas outside my window QED they don’t exist. My middle name is Blackduckfallacy but only because my parent’s were incompetent ornithologists.

1 Like

In comparison to British railways it is lightyears ahead. If you ever have the misfortune of travelling on Northern Rail you’ll discover real pain!

I used to have to take the Widnes to Warrington line every day. Delayed with out exception every morning then to add insult to injury the employer I had “fined” us for being late. Wankers cost me so much money!

6 Likes

This literally had me dancing, with tears in my eyes, but it wont be forever and ever

2 Likes

Ha. You want to hear some anecdotes from people commuting in my area everyday?
Infrastructure is crumbling in many heavy frequented areas here, it’s in no way comparable to say 10 yrs, let alone 30 yrs ago.

3 Likes

Köln will have the stats, but I think about 50% of ICE trains are delayed or cancelled in Germany. This may be an exaggeration, but it’s believable.

2 Likes

50%?

Try Southern Rail whose customers would celebrate if they only had 50% of services delayed or cancelled

I rarely see an issue with Scotrail.
I often get the LNER service from Aberdeen too, without issue either.

1 Like

I’m quite lucky. I use Southern Rail and rarely have a problem but I think that is because I have a wide range of options to use.

Do German trains fix the times like they do in the UK well Cross Country, which effectively gives them a 20 minute stop at say Bristol.

Aww poor you. Hang in there Flobs, at least you are abit mobile. Take one day at a time.

We are all getting older and the ailments which were dormant are coming out now. I am feeling it too.

I am also getting abit down, i get depressed when it gets dark early.

Hmm ? Just having a bit of a busy weekend, that’s all. I’m still here, just doing other things, like playing games with friends, reading books and going for walks. I suppose I shall have to write a very long post about Ukraine tomorrow and go through the last week (or two)s events.

Note: If you are unhappy with lack of updates, I can try to do a bit better. It’s just nice to do something else too, you know ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Regarding trains, since everyone is discussing them. I found British trains nice enough when I have taken them, but they are surprisingly expensive, so don’t seem to be a cost effective way to move around if you want to travel in Britain. I was surprised by how expensive it was and I am Norwegian and used to high prices. Britain is such a tiny country in lenght, was shocking to me how much it cost for a train fare from London to Newcastle and Newcastle to Manchester etc. Really expensive.

If there is something that should be subsidised, it’s probably trains if the goal is to get people to drive less cars…

2 Likes

Just randomly checked right now, just typing Newcaste to London, and I get these insane prices:

I mean, it’s probably cheaper taking a plane then I would imagine (the last one is absurdly expensive for such a short ride with a train, consider that is a significantly higher price than you would have to pay to take the train from Oslo to Bodø in Norway; again, a way longer trip, taking more than 17 hours in a train). Truly daft prices.

3 Likes

So that was my contribution to the healthy complaints of the Day.

Now back to you guys.

As for what is happening right here, I was unfortunately a witness to sea king helicopter search at sea today. There was also a couple of fast ambulance boats roaming around an island, searching. They and the Sea King was doing a search around an island here. Later I heard on the news that a man had been found dead in a fisherman’s boat today, (observed to have run aground on that island and then found inside his boat by other fishermen who went over to look) so they were searching for others at sea for hours; but thankfully it turned out that no one else was missing but the dead man.
But it was a bit of a spectacle, albeit it was rather clear by how much helicopter fuel they used, that it was probably a sad one.

2 Likes

About 15 minutes more than anyone needs.