What's happening?

I thought the same when we moved here - ultra processed nasty stuff, tasteless cheese slices on everything. Ugh. Living here is a different experience, though I do think many Americans think the above passes for cheese but there is a whole other side to it.

We always have great cheese in our house. If you do all your shopping at Walmart you are going to come home with Kraft ‘cheese’ slices. Ugh. But I go to Market District or Trader Joe’s and both have a great selection of cheese from all over the world. Good Manchego from Spain is easy to come by, along with most anything else you could want. As an Englishman overseas I want a good cheddar, a nice Stilton or variation like Shropshire Blue, and a good Brie. To my tastes they are the staples of a great cheese board.

Even at a more budget friendly price Aldi has decent cheese, from Europe, and lots of non-GMO food options which are better than a lot of the ultra processed stuff the American food industry puts out. Aldi is the fastest growing grocery store in the US - great prices, manageable selection, non-GMO food, and Americans are slowly turning that way.

I’m a bit of a cheese snob and was in a cheese club back in the UK. There is a thriving artisan cheese scene over here too. Probably my favorite cheese at the moment is from California and it is called Humboldt Fog.

Anyway, I’m writing a cheese essay so I will stop!

6 Likes

4 Likes

Here are a few of the best ones in the UK. Whenever I had a day in a nice place like Stratford on Avon, I would go to Paxton and Whitfield. I think Churchill got his cheese from this cheesemonger!

Anyway, I hear the quips about the American cheese scene, and wider cuisine too. I thought the same. But living here is a different experience, and anything you want is available, at all price points,

2 Likes

I thought it was a place where everyone gets together and eats Stilton.

I use this one:

Neal’s Yard Dairy is another good one.

1 Like

seven shades of stilton :rofl:

2 Likes

Apparently there’s a correct way to cut stilton.

1 Like

And @Sithbare will be along to tell us in his upper class tone

All cheeses should be cut in the correct manner.

4 Likes

Ban

1 Like

Grate news.

1 Like

You know me to be the discerning man of taste.

2 Likes

Pork and Spicy foods go well with Red wines.

I wouldnt mind that. Especially paired with a cheese too.

1 Like

You have me thinking of a spicy red wine sauce, sautéed pork with caramelised onions, slow cooked root veg served with toasted crostini. Hmmmmm, foooood… Pork cheese and wine, gorgeous!

3 Likes

Not sure if everyone is aware… If you buy these, you don’t have to even cut them… saves a load of time - If you have guests sitting at the table, might be best to unwrap them first, before putting them on the cheese board… no messy foil to contend with then - Job done…! :+1:

6 Likes

Good for cheats cheese sauce​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

The Missus: “Chrissie Hynde is from Acorn, Ohio”
So close.

1 Like

When we were kids, I had a mate that went course fishing quite often with his Dad… The maggots they brought along as bait, had normally been kept in the fridge at home, so they didn’t crystallize before they had a chance to use them - Can still remember to this day, him telling us all, his Dad made him put the maggots in his mouth to warm them up, before getting put onto the fishing hook - apparently, it mad them wriggle more once they entered the water…! Fuck that eh :0)

1 Like