What's happening?

I was wondering if you would have been better off just renting a car for when you’re not in London, but 10 days is probably too expensive.

Yes thought about that but with suitcases, golf clubs, trolleys you need a pretty large car and they are way too expensive. Nah coughing up the €55 is better.

1 Like

You’d be surprised what hidden strength and reserves you can muster Maria. I was a quarter inch too short for entry into the RMR but the Medical Officer blagged it for me to get in because of my “enthusiasm” to join. I saw many taller, stronger and fitter lads than me jib it because it was “too hard”. I have noticed over the years how along with the tall athletic types in the CDOs and Paras there’s also a fair few little uns. :joy:
I was so proud on the day I recieved my beret. While in training you’re encouraged to learn the history of the Corps and to be a small part of it means a lot to me. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

On a much lighter topic

This is my cheat dish for the fortnight.

Indian Chinese street food style noodles with huge amounts of garam masala , chilly powder etc etc

1 Like

I could have recommended some good areas to stay especially nice ones

2 Likes

We are staying near tower bridge, tube around the corner, Borough Market 10 minutes walk, can you recommend a nice pub?

1 Like

I’ll look at a walk I did around there and get back to you.

1 Like

Though it will be a day time view of it :slightly_smiling_face:

£1=1€

Try the George Inn or the Anchor, Bankside.

1 Like

saw the Anchor from the river taxi, I think?

was just scrolling through google maps of the bits of London I did see in my 3 days, it becomes glaringly obvious of how much I DIDN’T see.

3 Likes

They look great, thanks I will check them out.

1 Like

Is that what you do at your hotel? I may have to visit with some euros to exchange…:wink::rofl:

1 Like

That is probably 1 issue I have with the tube.

As good and convenient as it is for getting around London, you miss so much being trapped undergound. For a tourist, buses are a way better option in my view as you actually get to travel around seeing the city and will see things that are missed on the tube

1 Like

You are right 35 years ago when I was in my thirties I used to walk in cities like London and New York to see the most.

These days I just want to get from a to b in the fastest and most comfortable way I can. :grin:

1 Like

Conversely, there are so many stories and so much history within the London underground.

Billy Connolly made a great documentary series about the London underground, but I can’t quite recall the name. Suggs, of Madness fame, had a series called Disappearing London, where he explored hatters, tobacconists, sweet shops, etc., and the underground. Worth a watch, if you can find it.

I’m not an anorak trainspotter or anything, and my first recommendation to anyone visiting London is the evening train from Paddington to Swansea, but I fucking love a good metro system, and London’s is the most storied.

Edit - Soz for the weird rant, boys. I’m arseholed, and apparently very passionate about the London underground. Who knew.

5 Likes

We did a couple of those ‘hop on hop off’ bus tours of “That London” some years back. They were very informative. :+1::nerd_face:

1 Like

you don’t even need to use those tour buses.

Just the normal bus routes give a very good perspective of the siz of London and where things are in relation to each other that the tube doesn’t give

:+1:what I liked about the tour buses was the guide giving us a commentary about areas/streets/buildings along the routes, that in some cases we’d already passed on foot without noticing them. :nerd_face:

1 Like

I love driving all around UK, from Liverpool to the Lake District to as far as Holyhead and I did also drive into London but only outside the ULEZ and I stayed around St Pancras station so it was just outside of the ULEZ. I thought it was ok in those parts of London that I drove in although I can understand how difficult it can get when i see some of the roads in some other parts. But I agree that the subway and the public buses are the best way to get around. I actually really love the buses sometimes over the tube.

EDIT: I am not sure whether it is the ULEZ or something like congestion area that I meant on top, I know I was outside some sort of zone by driving around the St Pancras area.

1 Like