Which CF do you want?

Abraham scored 18 times for Chelsea last season
12 times in half a season just gone, before he was dropped.
He did not make the Champions League squad for the final.
Surely will be leaving in the summer. Think he would be a good replacement for Origi / Shaqiri if the price is reasonable. And he is English which helps with the homegrown requirement.
Jota, Abraham, Salah, Firminho, Mane, Elliot - seems like there are plenty of options there to change things up when necessary.

Or have I missed something regarding Abraham?

2 Likes

He’s a bit one dimensional. Knows how to score goals though , but the attacking play that we do doesn’t probably suit his style of play. I get the reason for signing him not least cause of the homegrown quota. But i doubt Chelsea will let him go for anything less than 25

1 Like

And if a backup CF after signing a big name is what we want , I’d rather Klopp give opportunities to Glatzel in the domestic cup fixtures.

Mo , Mane , Bobby , Jota , Mina , Elliot , Glatzel + 1 ready made prospect to replace Origi

god you speak some rubbish.

apologies for the agression.

but you do.

8 Likes

He’s not actually that one dimensional, he’s better than assumed, however the whole point would be in having a proper CF type within the squad as a tactical option.

4 Likes

If there is someone who comes off the bench and gives 10-15 goals a season. Doesn’t matter if he’s one dimensional. Just don’t know whether an out and out striker suits the gameplay that we have of attacking from the wings though

We have TAA, Jones and Jota 3/5 is ok imo we also have potentially excellent OAPs, Salah, Mane and Thiago 5/5! :grin:

I forgot Robbo, he’s not old is he? 4/5 or 6/5

Kidding aren’t you? With the pinpoint crossing of Trent and Andy a traditional CF could fill his boots with goals or at least get lots of knock down assists to our other attackers.

3 Likes

we’ve got both Mane and Mo cutting in from the wings and shooting. Just don’t think you are gonna restrict that style of gameplay are we… A classic CF isn’t gonna get the same service

True. But an out 'n out striker will be easier to mark/close down than the mobile attackers we have. Not saying that it wouldn’t work.

But that would create more room for Salah Mane etc to be free of that closing down marking then which is another benefit. One of the reasons Firmino was so successful in his role for so long was the mayhem he caused opposition defences allowing the other two such freedom. This would be a different way of getting that effect back.

1 Like

Why would having one negate the other? Their defence concentrates on the 9 that leaves more room and opportunities for the wide forwards instead. Concentrate on the wide forwards leaves opportunities for the 9 with two of the best crossers of the ball in the league in our fullbacks.

5 Likes

True. I often wondered why Klopp didn’t use Sturridge or Origi in such role. They were used as LF rather than CF. I think Klopp prefers players who can play across the frontline. He played Mane, Jota, Salah in an evolved 433 where the false 9 don’t drop too deep like Bobby but all three can and are comfortable in interchanging positions.

1 Like

I mean increably talented U25 players - all of those Bayern Munich players I mentioned were at that age in 2012/13.

Dunno about Abraham, I remember the Championship version at Villa and it reminds me of the Championship version of Bamford.

There was enough in Jota for me to think yup he might fit us well.

Both Bamford and Abraham score goals but do they play in a system like ours.

I wouldn’t be coughing up 40m for him.

5 Likes

40m is overpriced. If he were available for 20-30m I think someone would be getting a very good deal - Not many young English Internationals available for that price who could probably get you 15-20 goals per season against PL opposition. Allows JK to mix things up tactically as well.

Would definitely be an upgrade on Shaqiri and Origi.

2 Likes

If you take into account the homegrown status, £40m is a fair price. He is a fast FW with good pace and movement and can score 15-20 goals per season. Much better than Origi, and his height will help against park-the-bus teams - be prepared for the fact that at least 30% of our matches will be against such teams.

2 Likes

You just described something very rare and then say £40m is overpriced? A goal return of 15-20 in the league is actually really quite good especially from someone not guaranteed to be starting week in week out but still able to hit those numbers.

2 Likes

A grand total of seven players scored fifteen or more goals this season just finished and four of those were regular penalty takers.

15-20 goals is not some sort of commonplace occurrence, despite how some trivialise it.

7 Likes

Only 2 of those actually scored more. In the whole league.