Which DM/CM do you want?

A few days ago ? So probably closer to 80 by now ?

1 Like

Maybe!

For anyone interested, it’s this one:

Well, it’s at least 70 now as I just realised that piece left out Andre :rofl:

I think that tells you a lot.

1 Like

Best thing about this , is that you just know because we’ve been linked to them United have been linked to just to keep up​:joy::joy::joy:

Maybe we should be linked to Maguire and Phil Jones and De Gea :thinking:

:unamused::unamused::unamused:

On the Poll options a very short summary from FBRef

Lavia - Young , Raw , Susceptible to fouls , high percentage of long passes completed among the lot , Reads the position of the ball well and is in a position to intercept either the shot or the pass. Doesn’t tackle as much as the others but that still has a high yellow card to match ratio. Not a great switcher of the play but it’s not mandatory.

Trindade - In a so called “weaker league” , Used by his team quite a bit for Corners / Freekicks but the assists aren’t on a high level. Not someone who runs with the ball but as with the rest , his progressive passes are pretty good. Poor long pass completion %age. Isn’t a player who fouls as much , which is reflected in his tackling %age (identical to Lavia) as well as his yellow cards recieved.

Florentino Luis : Poor stats at carrying the ball , Good progressive passing stats. Best Passer in the players being compared. Highest tackles per game among the players compared , Best success rate as well. Great at Interceptions among the compared players

Sangare : Carries the ball better than all of the others except Gravenberch. Best in progressive passes except Gravenberch. Not a good long ball passer which is reflected in his switching stats. Tackles well , 2nd best after Luis. Second best in terms of shot blocking/ interceptions after Lavia. A Solid choice , if a tad uninspired.

Gravenberch : Best attacking stats in this by far. He’s probably a #8 which reflects in those stats as opposed to the others who are #6. As expected , his defensive stats are the worst among the lot. He shouldn’t be even a target considering we’re stocked with Mac / Sobz / Jones in that area.

Kalvin : Poor at carrying the ball. Decent progressive passer. Switches the ball (The only person apart from Trindade) , Poor tackling %age , Gets booked a lot. Fuck knows why City bought him but he’s the only guy who has premier league experience of more than a season

1 Like

That said , If you get someone like a Luis/Sangare/Lavia and then take a Gravenberch to replace Fabinho and Henderson , It’s a pretty good improvement.

Maybe that’s how Liverpool is looking at this now. 2 more midfielders

I didn’t notice Tielsmann who was linked at one point and was as tennous as some of the others on there.

Really interesting. I wasn’t too keen on Sangare, although haven’t seen much of him, but measures up well here.

I have been thinking the last few days that he might actually be the most likely. Considering how quiet the solid links are, the fact we’ve shopped in Holland recently and most importantly the release clause point to something that can be done at the drop of a hat when the outgoings are confirmed.

On a personal level it’ll be a shame because I’m going to watch PSV in a couple of weeks and running out of players I recognise.

I’m slightly surprised we haven’t been linked to either Camara or Fofana at Monaco. In fact we seem to have been linked to everyone except either of them.

Not going to pretend I’ve seen loads of either but I’m not that convinced on any of the more experienced options on that list. Doucoure seems way over priced and statistically Camara seemed to have a better season one just gone, albeit in a weaker league.

He just seems to be the kind of player Palace would replace Doucoure with for half the price and end up with an equally good if not better player. International team mates for Mali too so equally inconvenient for the AFCON.

I know it’s just a bunch of stats but it’s interesting that the FBREF similar player comparisons for Camara include Enzo Fernandez, Caicedo and Kone. Three names there we know have been on our radar.

Would love to hear thoughts from anyone who has seen more of Camara play though.

Lavia for the second option. That one has been discussed to death.

Guys how is Frank Kessie? He was very good at AC Milan. Didn’t watch him for Barca. Think he will be available for say 15-20 million pounds. Kessie and Lavia for 60 million ?

Good call on Monaco players. We’ve signed Fabinho in the past and were heavily linked with Tchouameni as well. Clearly there’s something about Monaco DM’s that make us want to take a look at them AND Camavinga as well.

Camara seems almost on par with Sangare. Just checked the stats. Much more number of tackles done per match but that isn’t a necessity. Tackles + Interceptions which is a better indicator has Sangare’s 5.24 per 90 to Camara’s 4.58

Camara’s rather poor in possession , marginally better in passing which is something good to have but not essential and while he tackles more than Sangare , it’s something which is good to have but not essential.

Fofana’s not comparable to those guys yet.

From what it looks , this year , we should give Monaco players a skip. Maybe look for them the next batch of DM’s.

He ticks a lot of boxes among the guys mentioned. Notably the release clause as well. Someone like him + a more box 2 box midfielder makes sense primarily because he’s affordable.

Lavia.

Has the potential to be one of the best in the world in that position and his current level is much higher than many are giving him credit for.

He’s also the most well suited to this new system. Having a player so press resistant next to Trent, and playing behind Jones, Mac and Szoboslai could look extremely good if we get it right.

Concerns about his age are fair, but this season is probably going to be a somewhat transitional one regardless of what we do. Having no Champions League football makes this an easier decision, the pressure and intensity just isn’t there in the Europa League in comparison.

Some of the other names on the list look solid as well, I’m sure Luis and Sangare would improve our midfield and turn out to be decent signings, but Lavia is the one with most potential upside for me. Higher risk, higher reward.

8 Likes

Fair play, you were pretty much bang on £31 million (€37 million euros)…

1 Like

Lavia for me. 19 and already seen Prem action, learning the ropes at a rapid rate at Southampton. All the tools are there for him to go on to be an excellent player, and even from the off, assuming Fabinho leaves, I suspect it will be an upgrade.

We should have other players in midfield to rotate a bit and help bring him through. The deal looks all but done, and with a second bid going in to Southampton hopefully it closes in time for him to go to Singapore with the team.

1 Like

Anybody but Lavia.

What a ridiculous statement.

1 Like