Who do you wish to sell

It’s all already been said, but…

I’m slowly coming around to the idea of seeing some big names leave this summer. This train may have reached a natural end to its journey, too hard for these guys to find the mental strength to push it any further. Time for a new team of train pushers to come in and take us to the next stop. Fabinho is an obvious one to say goodbye to right now, Matip, Gomez (not as young as I thought anymore) are no longer reliable options. Salah, Firmino, Thiago and Hendo are all replaceable on current form. Personally, out of those listed, I would like to see Salah and Hendo stay, they are woven into our identity more than the others. Add in Naby, Ox, Milner, Philips to leavers list, it’s looking like a lot of work to do this summer, and a sad end to an era. Bring on the next great Liverpool side.

I hate this thread title.

3 Likes

Who do you think should leave might be more appropriate as it is clear that some players would not be going for a fee.

The squad has been allowed to age and the obvious replacements are still developing and maturing. This happens to lots of teams. Shanks had it in the late 60s. He didn’t let everyone go - Ian Callaghan was still there after Shanks had retired.I think Bob Paisley was probably more ruthless in this respect. He could see players that were past their best and no longer contributing and moved them on. That takes a tough mindset, though - to have had a close camaraderie with players for years and then telling them that the party is over.

2 Likes

There might be an expediency to that which goes beyond the squad building. It might time to throw a big name on the fire, just to show the squad that the club won’t tolerate standards dropping.

2 Likes

Like Mo? Probably our biggest asset, but funds created would go a long way. If Alisson were to leave I’d cry

Not saying that we should sell Ali, but when has Kelleher ever let us down?

3 Likes

Weirdly seems to disappear for a month at a time on occasions I know Alisson is prone to injuries on occasions but Kelleher seems to miss a few more.

2 Likes

Never

For the right price, I would sell him if that gets us Bellingham. Kelleher at 23 may not be at Beckers level jet but I don’t have seen him making any howlers. I would do it.

1 Like

Sorry but nah. There are plenty before him that could generate the subsequent cash and he seems to be generally fighting, his anger at our performances was something I wasn’t getting from others.

4 Likes

Definitely keep Alisson. He is proven, and if not the best in the world, then definitely in that conversation.

Kelleher is an excellent understudy, and he may well need to move on to forge his own career. If so, we should insert a buy back clause in case he becomes world class. He might, but there is a chasm between looking the part when called upon, and being the established number one who saves the day week in and week out and gives the team a platform to do its thing.

Kelleher might well become that man, but we already have him in Alisson, and he should stay.

Now… when he is towards the end of his career, let’s have another look, but Alisson still has years left.

7 Likes

This is something that Klopp doesn’t seem to be good at, or maybe he avoids it and leaves it to others. Anyway, if were the DoF I would keep Alisson at all costs, possibly sell Kelleher, keep Gomez as CB and FB back up, keep Hendo as captain and Mr. Motivator, be open to offers for Virg, not offer new contracts to Keita, AOC or Milner, and sell Salah, Fab, Thiago, Jones, Matip, Phillips and Williams.

I would keep Bobby as getting rid of him would be like killing the family pet yourself.

Thank goodness you’re not in charge.

2 Likes

Van Dijk is one older player that should not be on the chopping block.

He’s still our best centre back by a mile. People are far too quick to point out when he has a bad game, and for some reason a certain group always want to make the argument that his centre back partner is or has been the better player.

Nah. We always look worse without him. Put a reliable midfield in front of him, give him a solid partner and don’t overplay him (no more league cup 3rd round) and we’ll see a return to something like his best form.

Hopefully he and Alisson will still be here 5 years from now.

6 Likes

Van Dijk’s interview from yesterday only reiterates what you said (that he’s been overplayed) and also my desire to get another centre back of respectable quality (say, another Konate who doesn’t get injured easily).

With the mess that our midfield has become, we often forget that Van Dijk and Konate are probably the only reliable options we have at centre back in terms of quality - but not in terms of fitness, unfortunately.

If Klopp can get enough money for three quality signings in the summer, one of them has to be a centre back, as simple as that. Such player might prolong Van Dijk’s career and ease the burden off Konate as well.

5 Likes

Looking at the squad next summer the club has a lot of work to do. Sky Germany reported that Firmino will leave on a free transfer in 4 months.

Keita /free transfer/, AOC /free transfer/, Firmino /free transfer/, Adrian /free transfer/, Arthur /end of loan/ will all leave the club.

Milner will be 38 next season and is also another possible free transfer, but I’d like to keep him in a different role /part of the coaching staff and signing 1 year extension on lower wages/.

Phillips will be sold. Williams colud be sold too, both him and Nat not good enough for LFC. I’d say that if a club offers us something between 10-15 mln. pounds for Matip, it could be a good deal for both sides.

Curtis Jones won’t make it here, last Wednesday he wasn’t even part of the matchday squad and in my opinion /judging from different comments from the German/ Klopp is not his biggest fans.

Signing a quality central defender will be very good as Gomez is unreliable and injury prone, while Konate is not a playing machine like VvD and our Dutch leader will be 32 years old next season, so he will need help. Realistically we won’r have the money to sign Gvardiol, who is the perfect option for a central defender for me. Ndicka /Eintracht/ is a good option, his contract expires in 4 months/, Tapsoba /Bayer 04/, Timber /Ajax/, Pau Torres /Villareal/, Lukeba /Lyon/, Theate /Rennes/.

We also need at least 2 midfieders /3 will be otpimal, especially, if we part ways with Keita, AOC, Arthur, Milner and Jones. Hendo will be 33, Thiago is injury prone, Fabinho will be 30 and the other will be kids - Bajcetic, Harvey and eventaully Carvalho, if he doesn’t go on loan/. I’d say that Bellingham will be a very diffcult signing. Can’t see the club spending 120+ mln. pounds on Jude and at least 120 mln. pounds on 2 or 3 extra players. I’d be pleased, if we can sign both Caicedo and McAllister for 120 mln. pounds. Both very good players, pretty young, will add physical power and athletism. Play in a similar style and won’t need much time for adaptation. Rice is another one I’d like to see in a red shirt and if West Ham are relegated, it will be much easier. Mount will also be a very good addition. I fully understand why Klopp wnats him. He is a fuckin pressing machine and reminds me of Gini. Many fans could not understand why we signed him from Newcastle. He played mostly behind the forweard or on the left wing, but Klopp turned him into the perfect all round midfielder /at first he started as number 8, but later he developed and played as a competent number 6/. I think that we can expect a similar path for Mount, if we can sign him.

And in attack with Bobby leaving we will have - Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Jota, Gakpo and possibly Carvalho /I still have no idea where his future lies, in midfield or in attack. In my opinion Klopp is also undecided and that is one of the reasons why Fabio hasn’t found a regular place in our squad/. Probably Doak will get chances, but it will be good to find a decent altertnative on Salah. Jota, Diaz, Nunez, Gakpo and Carvalho’s best positions are either on the left or centrally, but neither of them favours or looks best, while playing on the right side of our attack.

1 Like

Look I love Kelleher as much as the next man but the reason he’s so highly rated by our fans is because he barely plays. He’s not even in the same stratosphere as Alisson and the cracks would show if he started 30+ games a season.

3 Likes

Yes and no. Allison is fantastic, better the devil you know and all that, only 30 so no reason to sell. But Kelleher has played some high pressure games and not made a mistake, so not likely to go to pieces playing 30 games a season. Fantastic number 2.

4 Likes

Barely plays league, may have pulled a trick or two last year in a cup run? Say he’s a decent enough deputy for our man in black…

Who do you wish sell?

After sundays result, i wouldnt sell anyone,

Everything is wonderful again! :wink:

I’d sell that 16 year old who nearly nobbled Robbo.

I bet the bitters would be interested

1 Like