Who do you wish to sell

This.
Looking back in 10 years Mount will be remembered as a classic Steve Sidwell/Scott Parker level player.
Not what we need.

2 Likes

Were gonna be letting Keita and Chamberlain go.Would he not be seen in their bracket and therefore better as long as he stays fit.

Also for that list, Clint Dempsey

But the reason theyā€™re going is because theyā€™re in that bracket.
Someone in the same bracket is not progression, itā€™s standing still.

3 Likes

I think theyā€™re going due to their injury record but i agree we havenā€™t seen a decent game from either of them for quite a while

I agree, while Mount is no worldie, he is definitely at a better level than Jones and Elliot. Of course the latter 2 are younger and can yet improved but it will be wrong to say Mount is not better than them. But of course I would not pay 50mil for him, for me he is the kind of option that I would take a chance on if the price is 30m or less because while he is at a good level, his career still looks like it can go to either extreme.

1 Like

And especially coming from an opinion that Thiago is a problem when he plays for us.

Also, the Milner question isnā€™t really 100% tied to our midfield activities this summer. For a few years now, heā€™s covering both at RB and in midfield. So, it might depend on a few other things also. Ramsay over pre-season, if we judge heā€™s ready to help us next season, what does Millie want to do, etc.

1 Like

Not sure if we will sign Mount but if we do it will be fun to come back to some of you experts.

Trying to compare Mount to Thiago is like trying to compare Firmino to Fabinho.

What a load of crap.

Spoiler Alert:
Next thing you do is writing a hollow 1000 words bullshit essay. Please spare me.

Hereā€™s hoping. I donā€™t mind Mount, but whenever Iā€™ve seen him in CM, he was not good. Could be good for his career if he makes that step there, but I certainly donā€™t see the necessity for us to bother with that problem this summer.

I didnā€™t even compare Mount to Thiago, but when we talk about Thiago being a misfit(?) for our style, I struggle to see how our CM area would look with Mount in it and us having balance. Heā€™s an even more offensive player. Thiago is no good for us, but hey, letā€™s make Mount play deeper and have him getting 10+10 in numbers.

Relax mate, itā€™s only Tuesday.

I have not read every post, but the ones that I have read about Mount on this site, that are not in favour of signing him, are all happy to say he is a good player.

Thatā€™s where I am too. Mount is a good player, and it is silly to pretend otherwise.

The issue is whether or not he is the right player for us. If we sign him he will have nothing but support and we will back him to do well for us.

But on this side of it, I hope for a different type of midfielder. I will name two, but thereā€™s more. I hope for Kone and Bellingham. The skill sets they would add to our midfield are sorely missing, as we have seen all season long.

If we are able to sign Bellingham and Kone, big if, but at that point Iā€™m thinking the budget is spent. If we have more money I would move to central defence next.

In other words, there is no money for Mount, to my mind, as he isnā€™t a high enough priority ahead of the two midfielders I named, or indeed another central defender.

If the budget is WAY more than we expect, fine, Mount might start to come into view. But heā€™s not a high enough priority for me.

As a lesser point, and not everyone shares this view, but I see a lot of overlap between the skill set of Harvey Elliott and Mason Mount. Fast forward a few years and I suspect Elliott might even be a better player, or a similar level. (Heā€™s not quite there yet, but he is 4-5 yrs younger).

Even if Iā€™m wrong on this last point, I still would not spend say Ā£50M and Ā£200k per week on Mount, as we need a different type of midfielder in the engine room, and whatever budget we do have should be spent on, hopefully, Bellingham and Kone. Or that type.

Iā€™d imagine that if there was truth to our interest in Mount, it is not because of any perceived attacking quality, but because they have seen enough to think he could be molded into a Hendo replacement. He works hard and has great energy, but where I have seen his limitations has typically been in asking him to do that it a side that is not tactically coherent, or by putting him further forward where you need a bit more to your game (technically better? quicker?) to excel at this level.

Mount at 23 (I think) plenty of fuel in the tank still, at a knockdown priceā€¦ā€¦yes for me

Out:
Firmino
Keita
Chamberlain
Jones
Phillips

Possibly Jota, Fabinho, Gomez

Milner to train as a coach

Is Milner gonna be in a player-coach capacity??

1 Like

I donā€™t think so.

The coaching capacity would probably be first at Academy level.

Either he stays and plays, stops his career and goes into coaching here or elsewhere or moves somewhere else to play (and also eventually coach possibly).

I think Klopp said recently that he doesnā€™t see him stopping playing yet. And why should he, considering how heā€™s looking on the pitch. Doesnā€™t have to be at Liverpool.

What we would like is for him to stay, finish and go into coaching here. Or if thereā€™s another club where he would play in between, to have the door open for him. But he might have other ideas.

2 Likes

Well,a prime James Milner wasnā€™t a world beater in his days much less nowā€¦

If we give Milner a new contract as a player it symbolizes everything that is wrong with our midfield, old, slow, to much time on the ball.

I wish him all the best if he wants to stay and learn the manager trade but if he wants to keep on playing please do that somewhere else.

1 Like

For me, no. Because heā€™s low on the pecking order. And when he plays, he actually does alright more often than not. Of course, that will not last forever.

Without trying to find symbols or anything like that, weā€™re not getting enough from guys who are much younger than him. Not only Fabinho, but the likes of Keita, Chamberlain, Jones, etc.

Millie leaving or staying really doesnā€™t change anything about our plans, because at best heā€™s our 2nd/3rd choice RB and one of the lower options in midfield. More to come off the bench than to start.

Now itā€™s time to offload a few who really should be performing every week and get two new ones in.

3 Likes

Even if we signed three midfielders? Iā€™d be fine with Milner staying on as a player. Heā€™s started fuck all games this season and heā€™s a top bloke to have in the squad. Do I want him starting in midfield against Real Madrid? Fuck no, but thatā€™s hardly his fault.

3 Likes