Who do you wish to sell

Need to raise as much funds as we can from player sales while we still have the chance otherwise we’re gonna find ourselves in a position where every player leaves on a free like Gini Can Lallana Clyne etc + the 4 leaving next month, just not something we can afford under these owners whilst also looking to compete.

Kelleher - 15m
Phillips - 10m
Gomez - 20m
Hendo - 10m
Thiago - 15m
Elliott - 20m
Carvalho - 10m
Fab - 20m

1 Like

We won’t be selling all them.

1 Like

The advantage of that is that Hendo is currently our only association trained player on the books (maybe Phillips if he stays), which means he’s essentially a freebe in the Europa league squad as if he goes there isnt going to be anyone else we can use to put in his spot in the squad.

2 Likes

Glad you’re keeping Matip.

4 midfielders are leaving and we can hardly afford two midfielders this summer. Selling one of the other three seniors would mean we definitely need a third new one. Like Klopp once said about Sturridge ‘too expensive to replace’.

:thinking:

1 Like

You mean the 4 midfielders that between them started about 5 games last season?

90-110m in player sales should help us get the 2 starting midfielders we need.

I don’t see all of the listed ones leaving and for the prices mentionted/wished, but we are definitely not going into next season with 30 players. Especially with EL football this time. It’s clear that more players will leave than arrive this summer. We need to trim the squad to a smaller, more healthier (hopefully literally also!) and competitive number. And obviously help us with a few good incoming transfers.

2 Likes

But they were in the managers plans for the season as one midfielder each.

It’s not like Klopp counted ‘Milner 50% + Keita 30% + Ox 20% = 1 Midfielder’

He went into the season with 6 full senior midfielders in his mind.

Now you want us to go into next season with less than 4.

Should work on the PlayStation where all new signing make an immediate impact and young players never have a dip in form.

1 Like

For the first team only.

Sell

Kelleher - 20m (he needs to go away for his own good as he’s hardly going to get matches otherwise)
Matip - 15m( love the guy , he’s probably the best defender in the squad when fit … But he isn’t fit enough often. Replace him with a younger CB preferably from the young uns
Thiago - 20m (again same reason as Matip , just not fit enough. Best midfielder currently on the payroll. Maybe he can link up well with McAllister but his injury issues… )
Fabinho - 25m sell if a suitable offer comes on and there’s a replacement already signed. Will do well in Serie A

Loan
Carvalho - he needs to have regular football. His link up play reminds me of Phil. But it’s not a position that we have need of. Unless there’s something about him that makes him work as a false 9.

Promote from reserves

Doak
Morton

Certain players were kept/signed due to circumstances in the moment; injuries or physical state of some at the time (with an eye on the near future) and unable (always up for discussion, we’ll never know the full details) to sell/offload others.

We have the luxury these days to financially even carry a first team squad of 30 players. Attractive enough and professionally led enough not to have moaners, if they’re constantly on the bench or in the stands. But 30 seniors is unhealthy in football terms. Injuries are certainly an issue and that’s a different topic.

The likes of Keita, Arthur and Ox leaving are not such an issue. Getting better performances from either midfielders who played mostly (and who will stay) or new ones is our issue.

As far as midfielders go, we can go with 6-7 on paper, that’s no problem (as at least one of them will be able to cover the “6th” place in attack). But the overall number of players will be smaller than this season.

1 Like

It’s actually a benefit given how much the club saves on their wage bill. Get younger guys at more competitive wages and who are injured less often.

And we shouldn’t be in a position where we have to panic sign someone like Arthur. I think that’s where we lost a step due to Edwards leaving. Hopefully , in future , we identify a good DoF who can stand his own.

But that’s how it panned out and we survived, the problem was the lack in quality in the players we had…they’re not good enough for where we need to be so have to be sold, unless we want to lose them for nothing…I don’t see how that helps us.

An overhaul is an overhaul, we either buck up and become active or we drop lower than 5th next season it’s that simple, all eyes now on the owners…the longer you keep the rot around, the harder it is to clean out. Time will tell what preparation we’ve put for next season, the club knew these 4 players would be leaving 12 months ago.

Carvalho would have to be £15-£20m to me given current values.

Not sure which is more ridiculous.
The list or the fees

1 Like

Adrian. Draining the swamp.

[quote=“The-AllMightyReds, post:729, topic:1813, full:true”]
Kelleher - 15m [/quote]

Had we got CL we would have probably cashed in on him, but with the Europa League he has 8-10 games there as our EL keeper. Add in the early rounds of the League Cup and FA cup, and there could be 15-20 starts for him.

Agreed. But we won’t get £10m for him.

Not a chance. He is young, versatile and Home Grown. But he might need to do some more full backing now Milner has gone. Again Europa League gives him opportunities to get a run of starts and recover his confidence.

Think Matip will go though.

Again, not a chance. He’ll be expected to lead the squad off the pitch, and do the Milner role on it. He might start the season in the first eleven as new midfielders settle, but I’d expect him to be moved into a squad role by Autumn.

I would sell him if an offer came in. Totally unable to stay fit, and we are going to end up pay his wages for a year, and losing him on a free, for the sake of a handful of games. Might struggle to get an offer though.

Doesn’t change the fact that he’s a lovely player. It’s just the available.

Have you been drinking?

Talk of a purchase with a buy back clause, which seems reasonable.

On balance I would be in no rush to sell him. He has recovered his form in the new system to some degree, and he can cover defence if necessary, which is no bad thing given all our Centre Backs are injury prone.

But if we did get an offer around £20m that might be too good to turn down. Just don’t think we will.

4 Likes

It’s not players who I see us selling, just the ones I’d look to get rid for various reasons…some need to start their careers, some need to restart their careers, others are just done being at a top club.

Of course Hendo isn’t going anywhere…and 95% certain Fab isn’t either as Klopp starts him in almost every game possible.

We look to do the bare minimum in the window early on so the guys responsible for conducting transfers can put their feet up enjoying pina colada’s on the beach…they don’t really wanna be working during the summer, so yes I can see why no one thinks anyone will be sold…doesn’t really benefit LFC much though does it as we still need to find the money to reinvest from somewhere.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m sure Liverpool Football Club have a culture of laziness and work avoidance. :roll_eyes:

To me that’s how it looks, relied on the same group of players to deliver the goods year after year for about 6 consecutive years whilst doing the bare minimum…looks like the 7th was too much of an ask, now they’re in a position where they’re forced to act after having their eyes opened up for them.

But it’s a business to these guys and I understand that, any club would look to maximise revenue before anything. We don’t need to pretend the people behind the fans, players, Klopp & his staff care about success on the pitch.

It is absolutely impossible to know who will play how much next season.

Not even Jurgen Klopp and his staff know that, let alone us mortals on football forums.

Of course, we know how we finished this season and the current state of some players. Hopefully all new signings will hit the ground running. But there’s no guarantee for that and it’s pretty rare. We have seasons of examples of that, just go back in time and remember some context.

We will aim for a major restart from pre-season day 1. We have a job of not only giving the new signings the best chance of impressing, but building our game again and that means we will need to have a lot of current players raising their level. It works both ways.

For me, Fabinho’s form in our improvement wasn’t great or nothing special to mention really. I believe we will sign 2 midfielders and then we’ll see if there are other changes. Could depend if another player or two leave.

1 Like