Who would you buy?

I wonder what the implosion of Inter will mean to the prospect of Sancho, Kane etc.

I was glad to be proven wrong and Pool is now in the CL. With respect to players in. I would love to see

Konate
Kabak
Rice
Bissouma
Berg
J Willock(this kid gets goals, I’d put in a bid for him)
Sarr

OUT
Wilson
Origi
Shaq
Milner
Gini
Matip
Adrian
Keita
Ojo
R. Williams

This is a piece from James Pearce in the Athletic, some quotes and the link.

Ozan Kabak moved out of his house in Formby on Monday and said his goodbyes, after being informed Liverpool won’t trigger their option to buy him for £18 million following the end of his loan spell from German club Schalke.

In case you were wondering what happened to him.

Ben Davies didn’t play a single minute after his move from Championship club Preston North End for an initial fee of £500,000 midway through the season. The 25-year-old defender has been told that Klopp sees parallels with how Andrew Robertson needed months to adjust to the team’s style of play when he arrived from Hull City in the summer of 2017.

:scream:

Whether Liverpool need to sign a back-up goalkeeper this summer will hinge on whether Adrian decides to sign a new contract.

The club are keen to retain the services of the popular Spaniard, whose current deal expires at the end of next month. Adrian, who has offers to return to his homeland, is considering his options and talks are ongoing.

Senior Anfield sources have indicated that signing a replacement for Wijnaldum is not regarded as a necessity. They point to Henderson’s imminent return to fitness and the fact that academy graduate Curtis Jones is expected to have a bigger role in 2021-22 Despite ongoing speculation, The Athletic understands that Brighton & Hove Albion’s Yves Bissouma is not a target.

Liverpool don’t envisage any more high-profile exits. Klopp is planning for next season with Mane and Salah both still on board. Talk of trying to prise either Kylian Mbappe away from Paris Saint-Germain or Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund has been dismissed by senior club sources.

Once negotiations with Konate’s representatives are completed, the young Frenchman should be the first new face through the door.
A couple more are likely to follow him in, but it won’t be a busy summer regarding incomings at Liverpool.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1398174831351320577

5 Likes

Should be piss easy that.

5 Likes

€80m was reported, yeah. I’m just saying that since 2018, he’s under the radar one of the better holding midfielders out there (previously was more of a box-to-box type). He may want to leave now, catch his last train (considering his age, status and contract/Inter situation) for a move. But yeah, Inter will probably do what they can to sign a new deal with him. We’ll see who they sell and if it’s really €80m that they get.

1 Like

Does anyone seriously believe that we can manage another entire season without midfield reinforcements??? Signings are an absolute must if we want to compete for all cups (excluding that energy drink cup)

1 Like

I don’t know, perhaps they want to keep Grujic and Minamino who IMO could play midfield too, we will see.

1 Like

Seriously doubt that.

I don’t think Grujic has a future with us, he’s either sold or goes on another loan this summer.

And one of Shaqiri/Minamino will also depart, possibly even both, but then it also depends on who’s our forward target and to a smaller extent, maybe how Elliott does in pre-season.

If Taki is struggling to make an impact in forward positions, I somehow think Klopp wouldn’t trust him in CM (yet).

2 Likes

Grujic isn’t good enough. Minamino isn’t the workhorse Wijnaldum was and that’s the area we should be looking to strengthen. I think Minamino can play the attacking/advanced role Keita and AOC are suppose to.

3 Likes

But then in our great runs, we played with the same number of midfielders. For example, 2019/20, we did not have Thiago and Jones, instead we played with Gini and Ox (who was somehow healthy for much of the season), Lallana and Keita were the equivalent of Ox and Keita in 2020/21 - did not play at all.

Well, yes, we can probably challenge successfully without further signings in midfield. Particularly if we are strengthening defence and forward lines.

I think this view from the club though probably depends on what outgoings happen and is in part at least a negotiation tactic - we’re not selling on the cheap/ we don’t need to buy unless the price is right and part psychology for handling players who can’t get a move away but the club would have liked to sell and now feels has to use somehow.

1 Like

It’s putting a lot of pressure on Jones to deliver at a time in his career where there will be ups and downs.

1 Like

I get you but we still thin especially when it comes to impact players from the bench and goals from midfield:

1. Hendo
  2. Fab
  3. Thiago
  4. Curtis
  5. Millie
  6. Naby
  7. Ox
  8. Shaq
  9. Woodburn
  10. Taki (loan)
  11. Grujic (loan)
  12. Ojo (loan)
  13. Wilson (loan)
  14. Elliot (loan)

It won’t be a busy summer but I’d be surprised if we don’t make a signing in midfield. We aren’t going to tell The Athletic anything we don’t want out there.

6 Likes

He doesn’t really strike me as a lad who would be phased by it.

Anyway, when the mouthpiece journos put out that we’re not arsed about signing a midfielder, that suggests we’re trying to haggle a price somewhere.

4 Likes

I will give Rhys some benefits of doubt after his late season displays. He should play in pre-season matches at the minimum.

Willock is a MF, so if you want someone to score on a regular basis, better going for Tammy Abrahams.

Three players for me, defender, midfielder, attacker.

Defender - Konate
Konate. Done. Excited to see what he will become. Looks to be a younger VVD, at least in athletic ability and stature. Very happy with that signing.

Midfielder - Sanches
We look short to me. Gini off. Milner old. Hendo starting to pick up too many injuries. Keita and Ox can barely get on the pitch. I’m open to selling Keita and persevering with Ox, possibly as an alternate false nine. He does know where the goal is.

I don’t know who the midfield signing will be. Camavinga will be too expensive. Bissouma seems too obvious. Part of me wonders if we will get a player like Renato Sanches and help him to reach his potential here. He has been doing well in France after bursting onto the scene as a youngster and then fading. Could be a canny signing?

Striker - Sarr
If we are keeping all three main men, it won’t be an expensive signing. Still, it doesn’t mean it can’t be someone who won’t make a great impact. Someone like Abraham through the middle to band the goals in? Or maybe Hudson Odoi to fulfil his promise here? Or if Chelsea won’t deal with us, maybe someone like Sarr for the wing? Granted, the numbers aren’t there with the player yet, but the raw attributes of pace and power are there in abundance, and skill too.

Unless we’re planning on using Minamino in a midfield role or if Klopp think Jones is ready to step up and become a regular , I’d be surprised not to see a midfielder this summer.

I have no real preference for who that is though as we’ll have done our homework.

Wishful thinking but I’d love it if Naby could stay fit and show the form we’ve only seen in glimpses over a whole season.

Mane was posting clips of Saar scoring vs us on his Instagram story yesterday, cryptic hints maybe

1 Like

Yeah- Mané’s joining Watford.

11 Likes