Who would you buy?

No one would even choose Man Utd now given the shitshow they are in provided there are others who are making similar offers

But if it were only Man Utd who were coming in with that offer , would he refuse

Hard to argue against this unless there’s a significant departure somewhere. And if that was Mane they may view Diaz as being his replacement already.

As with pretty much the last two or three summer, departures are going to have a big influence. If we take Milner going as read, then we’re going to need to move on the likes of Origi (might be out of contract, might not), Phillips, Minamino and possibly one of Keita or Ox if we’re to do much else of significance.

1 Like

Haaland would be wonderful but will he fit our style of playing? He is a true CF and we don’t play with a true CF when Mane and Salah is around…

2 Likes

Salah linked up fine with Dzeko in the past, Diaz would be fine. Jota has changed the dynamic of our front 3 a bit already playing more like an Aguero than a Firmino and that’s been fine. Plus Haaland is no one dimensional donkey. I’d say if Klopp could use Lewandowski with Aubameyang and Reus he could easily use Haaland with two of Salah, Diaz, Jota and Diaz wide.

1 Like

Not so simple for me, I wouldn’t be sure it would work (to the top level we would need it) until I see it. I’m not writing it off either. But I certainly cannot be sure going purely by theory. It’s possible that both sides: Liverpool and Haaland would possibly need to alter their styles a little bit. Possible.

Let’s not confuse a lot of things here. I certainly didn’t watch enough of Salah at Rome, but it’s possible that his role and that team was very different to what we’ve done and are doing here. Dzeko is a fine link up player, while we’re at it. Not saying Haaland isn’t, but we’ll see in which direction he goes. Much more of a protagonist and individualist so far.

Jota playing instead of Bobby doesn’t mean we suddenly have a proper striker who does nothing else. That’s wrong. And to be completely honest, I’m not 100% sure he’s won that place long term and that there are no changes there anymore. We haven’t suddenly abandoned the function of a central player being active in both ways.

Reus is again, very different to Salah and Mane. Salah and Mane are different if you zoom them into details, but then Reus is much more of a creator than vertical like those two.

1 Like

Also Haaland’s dad:

Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF

Haaland won’t go to United. Surely he’s sick of losing whilst being the best player. He can earn the same money winning titles elsewhere.

As for Tchouameni, can he play as an ‘8’? As good as he looks, it’s difficult to see us spending big money on a player who will only play when Fabinho needs a rest or is injured. If he can play as an ‘8’ it looks more feasible. Also, something I think worth considering, Henderson is probably going to transition more to a ‘6’ as he gets older as the box to box role is more demanding (one possible reason we didn’t want to give Gini the cash).

4 Likes

The only CM I want is Jude

1 Like

He’s not the only one I’d be happy to see us sign but it’s hard to miss his completeness as a CM. There’s players who are better at specific things but he’s performing at a high level across the board. Add in his homegrown status and his young age. Wrap it all up in a big, physical, athletic, package and hard to see why anyone would turn him down.

1 Like

let’s be realistic here. who is going to fill Benzema’s shoes. who is the best candidate in the world when he retires, he’s 34 now?

Haaland will be at Madrid, probably in the summer of 2023.

2 Likes

Mbappe? They have Rodrygo and Vinícius who are starting to look like the potential coming good as well.

Haaland moves in the summer, it’s when his clause activates.

Mbappe signs for Real.

And Haaland signs for the club that pays him and his agent the most money. That’s not us obviously.

1 Like

Could be Mbappe (we’ll see how he is when/if he fully moves centrally), could be Haaland is Real manage to get both, could be someone third by the time…

again, who fills Benzema’s shoes? Vini is a winger, and Rodrygo by accounts (I’ve not seen much of him in the striker role) is not the same kind of player.

at some point in the next season or two, Benzema will retire. Bale will fuck off soon, and Hazard is past his use-by date. I don’t see Mbappe being a proper #9.

my opinion of who could afford and best utilize Haaland, it would be Real. interesting that Mbappe is still on a Bosman and nobody knows if he’s staying at PSG or moving.

Maybe it wouldn’t have to be a player stylistically exact or even similar to Benzema? Because Benzema’s role also changed over the years, with and without Ronaldo, etc.

1 Like

Agreed, There have already been rumours of Real picking up both Mbappe and Haaland this summer. They look to have the cash to do that deal now, and also pick up Rudiger on a free too.

1 Like

fair enough, but above all things I’ve seen of Benzema he’s a creator. He is a pure goal scorer and a very intelligent player. probably one of the best pure strikers I’ve ever seen in my life. 369 goals, 180 assists in 735 club games between Ligue Un and La Liga. Very consistent.

will be interesting to see where this next batch of Bosman transfers settle, as it appears this is the future of football. Less big money transfers, more players seeing out their contracts for big signing bonuses and wages.

1 Like

I think a lot of these Bosman deals are occurring though because the owning club is refusing to sell, or not recieving the sorts of offers needed to let the player go. I don’t think its being driven by the players.

1 Like

Technically and in terms of link up play, he’s outstanding, yeah. Probably just about the best behind (not a small gap of course) Messi in that aspect. But I feel in his career, he wasn’t always the same. Certainly, in last years, he took better care of himself, reinvented himself physically (more leaner than before), took the post-Ronaldo era with more responsibility (not easy to replicate those numbers with Ronaldo alongside him, he had seasons with 5 or 11 league goals). Don’t want to turn this into a who would you buy for Real thread, but it’s Real we’re talking about, they’ll always be in for the best players. Different types also.

1 Like

Or the player refusing to agree on terms with the buying club, fully knowing he’ll get a far better salary if he moves 18months later for free. right, Gini?