Who would you buy?

The midfield is probably the hardest part to improve on but something FSG are going to have to look at this season.

Henderson getting older , Milner looking doubtful to extend also age makes his injuries take longer to recover from.

Keita is finally doing well and liverpool have a semblence of a first choice 3 in fabinho keita thiago with henderson jones and elliot providing backup.

All liverpool need is an upgrade on gini. Similar attributes with an emphasis on being able to stay injury free. Sounds easy but its probably not.

Signing players like Alli and VVD has the advantage that they make the players around them better as well as improve the quality of those positions at the club. Kelleher is probably a starting keeper for a top 10 premier league club and his improvement wouldnt have been possible without alli to set the standards.

Not that we have not signed great midfielders under klopp (fabinho / thiago) , we have yet to make the one signing in midfield that would have the transformational impact on the midfield that Alli/Vvd had for their departments.

Fabinho was that exact signing. A proper #6, getting Henderson out of that role and being the player he is supposed to be. No coincidence all of our cup wins were after he arrived. I hope Morton is watching closely because Fabinho reads the game as well as anyone. The only player better in that role is Kante who is other-worldly

2 Likes

Hope Keita continues his run of good form and becomes the #8 that we need

Yeah, no problem, I just added a thing or two from what I know about a few players to make the picture clearer for our discussion.

Like I said, I think if you asked our club, they’d rather sell both Ox and Keita and just move on. But we’ll see if there are offers this summer and how good are they.

2 Likes

Important to mention that Spurs have Pape Sarr, who they bought last summer and left out on loan at Metz. Could be part of their midfield choices for next season. I think he plays either as #6 or #8.

1 Like

I think Kessie is one that gets more love than how good he really is. Not saying he’s not good, but perhaps… a little bit overrated? Built like a beast when you look at him, plus, he did have some good numbers in a lot of seasons. I’m still not sure what’s his best position/role in a midfield and what’s his ceiling quality wise. Par example, I thought Ndombele (and Keita, while we’re at it) would be brilliant, but then look what happened. I think the latest is that he’s rejecting Milan’s offer of €6.5m per year (which is around £100k per week).

1 Like

Also, our game as a whole is one of the best in Europe. So we can often buy players where fans/media (sometimes even other clubs) don’t see it or don’t act. It’s rarely the most shiny toy in store. But our selection is very good and we merge them into our game, knowing they have the qualities to play at a higher level.

By the way, sorry for 4 posts in a row, I’m terrible at multiple quoting in a single post since we’re on this forum!

:joy: :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

I really think and hope it’s Aurélien Tchouaméni we go for in the summer. He’s definitely more a DM and the long term Fab replacement but he seems to have every club in the bag and has played the 8 before. Whether he could play that to a high enough level

I am not going to throw names about but I want to tip my hat and give huge praise to our recruitment team. We all speculate and like the flavour of the month. They are stone cold analysts who take the time to find who we need and who fits the system and the club. Honestly, our hit rate is exceptional.

So whoever they think fits I am on board. They will only spend huge for a guaranteed fit. I have to say I think Bellingham is that (ok I threw a name).

It just makes me proud to see how we do it now compared to Man U etc.

Astounding how Man Utd picked Fred over Fabinho

Yep. They have no plan. Sign names rather than people who fit. Ronaldo was a huge mistake. But long may it continue.

If they had our recruitment team and owners who did not leach the club we would be in trouble!

Some really nice analysis here and a proper look at the type of midfielder we typically look to employ.

Can’t help but think there was too much smoke around Sanches for there not to be some genuine interest. He wouldn’t be my choice because of the injuries but it’s not as if slightly suspect injury records have put us off before.

Tielemans is another who looks like he’ll be undervalued this summer due to his contract situation and we may well look at that as being an opportunity not to be missed. Leicester fans are starting to turn on him. Whether it’s just the contract situation or a drop off in performances from previous seasons im not sure but there are quite a few who think he’s not got the fitness and speed to play in a midfield that presses high.

Always liked Aouar as a player. Seems to have stagnated at Lyon but still performing at a decent level and has a lot of experience even though he’s still only 23. Contract expires in 2023. Could he be moulded into a Thiago understudy/replacement for us? Interesting to see Caqueret above him in your grading though.

1 Like

Considering Thiago and Kieta were the blueprint for your search, it is interesting that Milner is above Keita in the ranking!

2 Likes

Excellent work @Sweeting I wonder where statistically Carvalho sits, I’ve got a hunch if we get him he will be pushed further back similar to Elliot.

Guimaraes is a strange one, crazy Newcastle got him for the price they did. Wonder what we didn’t like in him.

1 Like

I think Carvalho is being used as a winger with Fulham , Rather similar to how Elliot was being used by them.

No, mostly centally. Either as a single #10 behind Mitrovic, or slightly deeper in a midfield 3. Wilson starts mostly on the right and Kebano on the left.

2 Likes

Looks like he would be completing either with Firmino or with Elliot for the #8 then. Probably meaning that we cash in on one of Keita/Ox

If we got Carvalho my thinking is he is groomed to take over from Thiago on the left so we line up in midfield like this…

Elliot – Fabinho – Carvalho

Your 2 all action no.8’s screened by a “fabinho” no.6 dm.

Probably that would be the case 3-4 years down the line once the current lot of midfielders (minus Fabinho) are moved on.

Either that or shoehorn Carvalho into the Firmino position. I think a #10 could be a false 9 provided he’s got enough intelligence on his game

He could be an option for the inside left channel or, with time, perhaps the most offensive midfield position. Too early anyway I think, if we buy him I’m not even sure at the moment if he’d be with us next season. Could even be here when Klopp is gone and then who knows what happens. We’ll see.

2 Likes